: A dangerous shark shows up to menace the characters.
- Straight: While swimming in the ocean, Bob is suddenly attacked by a huge shark.
- Exaggerated: Bob is attacked by a horde of sharks.
- Downplayed: Bob is attacked by a smaller shark.
- Justified: Bob is swimming in shark-infested waters; he's bound to see one.
- Inverted: The shark is a friendly animal that wants to help Bob.
- Subverted: Bob sees a shark fin on the water surface... But it turns out to be a dolphin.
- Double Subverted: After the dolphin appears, an actual shark shows up as well.
- Parodied: A guy in a shark mask who bites people's butts for the purpose of humor.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: Even though the story takes place at sea, there are no dangerous sharks.
- Enforced: Sharks are a major fear of many people, so the writer includes them to scare the audience.
- Lampshaded: "Oh no, a shark! It's a shark!"
- Invoked: A mad scientist breeds sharks specifically for their aggression.
- Exploited: To get rid of Bob, the villain throws him overboard in shark-invested waters and throws a bucket of chum after him.
- Defied: A scientist develops sharks that would never attack people.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: "This story takes place at sea, so a shark will probably show up at some point."
- Implied: Only the aftermath of the shark attack is shown.
- Deconstructed: The shark does initially attack Bob out of curiosity, but does not eat him because he's not its preferred prey.
- Reconstructed: This shark is hungry enough to eat Bob anyway.
Back to Threatening Shark