: A character is irrepressibly sweet-natured and optimistic, whatever comes their way.
- Straight: Polly is unappreciated at work and taken for granted by her husband, but she always seems to look on the bright side.
- Purity Sue
- Even as buildings crumble around her and she gains an infectious, life ending disease, Polly's happy optimistic spirit is never broken.
- Downplayed: Polly is more optimistic than average, but has a breaking point.
- Polly is a Fisher King, and knows that her getting into a bad mood will only make the world worse.
- Polly is The Fundamentalist, and believes that whatever befalls her on Earth will be compensated a thousandfold in the afterlife.
- Polly is a very broken girl and continues to be happy, no matter what happens, because she doesn't know anything else.
- Inverted: The Eeyore
- Double Subverted: Polly's cheery facade may have cracked, but her optimism is sincerely felt - everyone has their off days.
- Parodied: Polly skips, smiling, through a Crapsack World, singing duets with turkey vultures and blowing kisses to Disaster Scavengers.
- Zig Zagged: The work veers all over the Sliding Scale of Idealism Versus Cynicism, while Polly's characterisation switches from Princess Classic to Stepford Smiler Depending on the Writer.
- Averted: Polly's fairly realistic in her worldview.
- Enforced: "This is a kids show, but we've made it into a bit of a Crapsaccharine World. We need the hero to look on the bright side or the kids might start noticing the Nightmare Fuel"
- Invoked: Polly believes in karma - if she's nice to everyone else, they're more likely to be nice to her.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: "Just because I'm a Nice Girl doesn't mean I'm going to keep all your spirits up! This place sucks!"
- Discussed: "Why couldn't my sidekick be one of those irrepressible happy little girl sidekicks? I'm sick of this Deadpan Snarker following me around."
- Conversed: ???
- Reconstructed: Maybe the world isn't perfect. Maybe all isn't for the best in the best of all possible worlds. But Polly sees no point in despairing or giving in to cynicism, and honestly finds comfort in looking on the bright side of whatever happens.
Wasn't that fun? And this one little link
will take you straight back to The Pollyanna