: A character lies about the reward that will be given for completing a task.
- Straight: The evil computer GeneSYS promises Alice cake, she never gets it.
- Exaggerated: GeneSYS promises Alice cake, a party, and to end world hunger. It never happens.
- Downplayed: GeneSYS promises Alice a gigantic cake for completing a task, but all Alice gets is a stale cupcake.
- Justified: There was cake, but then somebody else ate it.
- Inverted: GeneSYS insists that there is no cake, but it turns out that there is.
- Subverted: The Stinger reveals that the cake is in fact not a lie.
- Double Subverted: ...only it turns out the cake is made of plastic.
- Parodied: GeneSYS says the eponymous line; Alice groans at this, telling GeneSYS that the meme got old years ago.
- Zig Zagged: Alice discovers that The Cake Is a Lie, and that the real cake is waiting for her in the next level. This process repeats itself until the final boss fight.
- Averted: There is no mention of a reward for any of Alice's actions.
- Enforced: ???
- Lampshaded: "Wait a minute, you're an AI, how on earth would you even go about getting a cake in the first place?"
- Invoked: ???
- Exploited: Alice understood that since GeneSYS is a villain and they usually use cakes as bribes, she declines the offer.
- Defied: Alice simply buys a cake instead, since GeneSYS is probably lying about it anyways.
- Conversed: "Oh look, she's being promised cake, it's probably going to be a lie."
- Deconstructed: The promised reward had a significant amount of important to Alice, and she ends up very distraught after she's lied to.
- Reconstructed: This motivates Alice to defeat GeneSYS.
- Played For Laughs: GeneSYS insists that its actions aren't a Portal reference, even more so than he insists that there will be cake. That turns out to be a lie.
Back to The Cake Is a Lie