: Otherwise normal animal that can communicate freely with human beings.
- Straight: Flora is a squirrel who lives in a tree, stores nuts for the winter and talks to our Plucky Kid Hero on a regular basis.
- Exagerated: Flora is an extremely intelligent, verbose, eloquent talking squirrel who has multiple human friends and is considered an equal member of society despite that, she still lives in a tree and stores nuts for the winter.
- Downplayed: Flora speaks via speech bubbles, ala Snoopy and Garfield.
- Justified: Flora is a genetically engineered animal designed for human speech
- Inverted: Herman the Human can only speak in animal language
- Subverted: Plucky Kid Hero AJ keeps telling his friends about his new friend Flora, when he finally shows his friends, she is just an ordinary (Albeit very tame) Squirrel.
- Double Subverted: Than she stands up on her hind legs and greets her friends in human speech.
- Parodied: ???
- Zigzagged: Kid Hero AJ tells his friends about talking squirrel Flora, but she appears a normal squirrel. Then she greets the people with human speech- but only because AJ is using ventriloquism to fool his friends. But Flora CAN actually talk human language. She just didn't find it necessary to do so that moment.
- Averted: Animals do not talk in this story.
- Enforced: ???
- "Hi, I'm Flora the talking squirrel."
- "I'm just a regular Squirrel in a crazy world!"
- Invoked: A lonely mad scientist genetically engineers animals to talk to him and be his company
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: ???
- Discussed: "Flora is pretty cool. just don't watch her when she is burying her nuts"
- Conversed: "Oh look a talking cow! I get the feeling PETA puts cute talking animals in these shows to make us feel guilty about eating meat!"
- Deconstructed: Flora is a genetically engendered animal created by evolutionary biologists for science, She has since lost the ability to communicate with her own species, and thus other squirrels shun her, she tries to make friends with humans, but humans either think they are hallucinating, run in terror or worse try to put Flora in a carnival freak show, Flora dies lonely and alienated from both her own kind and humans.
- Reconstructed: After meeting Flora and discovering how intelligent she is, people conclude she is no different from humans and allow her into society, eventually scientists create a mate for Flora so talking squirrels can become a proper species.
Back to Talking Animal