Playing With: Straw Vegetarian
: The stereotypical vegetarian or vegan Stock Character
- Straight: Alice does not eat meat, and is always whining about the fact that other characters do.
- Exaggerated: Alice doesn't eat anything, because she believes all life is sentient.
- Downplayed: Alice is a vegetarian, but only because going meatless is the trendy "it" diet this week. Next week, it'll be paleo, and the week after that she'll be on the grapefruit diet.
- Alice is a member of an Animal Wrongs Group, or other environmental group.
- Alice can't eat meat for medically-diagnosed health reasons.
- Alice has to abstain from meat for religious reasons.
- Inverted: In a setting where all or most other characters are vegetarians or vegans, Alice eats meat, and whines about others not doing so.
- Alice is seen eating fish or poultry.
- Alice doesn't whine about other characters eating meat.
- Alice isn't a vegetarian or vegan, just a picky eater.
- Alice can't eat meat because of a medical condition; doctor's orders.
- Alice is not a vegan or vegetarian, but she's on some other restrictive diet (macrobiotic, low-carb, gluten-free, fruitarian, ketogenic, raw-foodist, organic-only, what have you)
- Double Subverted:
- She still claims that she's a vegetarian, but that fish or poultry don't count as "meat."
- But she does try to persuade them to eat less of it because it's better for the environment, or animal rights, or for health reasons.
- Which annoys other characters, who have to prepare a separate dish just for her when they invite her over for dinner.
- That "medical reason" was self-diagnosed after Alice read an article online, or watched The Doctor Oz Show.
- She's still constantly bragging about her diet, trying to "convert" other characters, etc.
- Someone mentions Alice's strict diet of mushroom broth, and asks her how she's feeling. Alice replies, "Real sick...but proud of myself!"
- Bob, an Extreme Omnivore, attempts to convince people to stop eating one very specific food item.
- Zig Zagged: Sometimes Alice harangues others about meat, sometimes she doesn't.
- No one attempts to "convert" anyone else's diet.
- The characters' diets are never mentioned.
- Enforced: Acceptable Targets
- Lampshaded: "I don't eat animals because it's wrong. I only eat spinach."
- Invoked: A vegetarian or vegan group disseminates literature about how a meatless diet is the only natural or healthy way for humans to eat.
- Exploited: Betty asks Alice to join her Free the Frogs cause, which Alice does.
- Defied: Alice decides that giving up meat is too big a sacrifice, and so does not.
- Discussed: "Why would I care whether you guys eat meat? I went off it for health reasons, not to save the planet."
- Conversed: "Why does Alice beg her friends to go vegetarian? It's obvious they're not going to."
- Deconstructed: Alice starts to lose friends because they'd rather have their meat than be her friend.
- Alice finds new friends who are vegetarians or don't care about Alice's ways.
- Alice's friends all remain friends with her despite her diet.
Back to Straw Vegetarian