Playing With: Shrinking Violet
: A painfully shy person.
- Straight: Nina avoids talking to people because she feels anxious around them.
- Nina keeps watching to the ground, blushes when someone talks to people, stumbles over her own voice and thus avoids people as best as she can.
- Fragile Flower
- Nina is so shy that she is completely terrified of her own shadow and hides behind a bush or a large rock every time someone passes by her.
- Downplayed: Nina is only shy when around strangers or in unfamiliar situations. When with her close friends, she's more talkative and outgoing.
- Nina has experienced some traumatic event that caused her to get afraid of people.
- Nina has always had a shy temperament.
- Nina is shy because her parents and peers are abusive towards her.
- Nina has self esteem issues.
- Inverted: Nina is a brash, flamboyant Attention Whore, who dreads not being noticed.
- Nina actually talks quite naturally with other people.
- Nina is quiet and reserved, but it's just because she finds attention to be tiring to handle, not because she's shy.
- Nina is soft-spoken and polite; she doesn't like talking much.
- Double Subverted: Only that's on the outside to push her inner hesitations aside for a moment.
- Parodied: Nina does not talk at all and becomes invisible if she feels she's being noticed.
- Zig Zagged: Depending on the situation (or the personality), Nina can be brash and outgoing one moment and hesitant and tongue-tied the next.
- Averted: Nina isn't any shyer than anyone else.
- Enforced: Nina's older sibling yells at her whenever she begins to strike up a conversation.
- Lampshaded: "Nina never talks to anybody! It looks like it's very painful..."
- Invoked: Nina acts shy so people don't notice she's plotting something.
- Alice needs someone to help her with something and drags Nina into doing it, knowing she won't be able to refuse.
- Alice needs advice about something she'd rather keep a secret, and decides to ask Nina for it because Nina won't tell anyone since she never talks to people.
- Discussed: "Wow, She's so shy and quiet, I could barely hear her."
- Conversed: "Geez, it's like talking to a broken record! I don't even know what she's talking about!"
- But she decides to overcome her shyness and debunk all of the mean rumors about her.
- But then, Nina's friends then realize that her boyfriend had attacked her the same way he did to their friend, and quickly apologize for being so harsh to her. Nina also apologizes, saying she should have told them sooner about her boyfriend.