: A character takes a shortcut, only to get lost.
- Straight: The Tropers are on a road trip. Bob decides to take the Scenic Route...and ends up getting the family lost.
- Exaggerated: The Tropers wind up stranded out in the middle of the desert.
- Downplayed: ???
- Bob is too proud to ask directions when he gets lost.
- The Tropers had to complete some silly Fetch Quest or go see some cheesy tourist trap on the way.
- Bob had to go off the main route to find a rest stop because one of the kids had a Potty Emergency.
- There is a possible shortcut going that way, but it's either closed due to road construction or requires several turns and Bob keeps missing them.
- Inverted: Bob takes the Scenic Route, and it gets them to their destination in less time than it would have taken to stay on the main roads.
- Subverted: Bob stays on main roads in populated areas.
- Double Subverted: But he takes a wrong turn and gets lost.
- Parodied: The car is seen in front of stock scenery of Mt. Everest, the Pyramids, a beach, the surface of the moon, etc.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: Bob does not take any shortcuts.
- Enforced: Its The Journey That Counts, Idiot Plot.
- Lampshaded: "Christopher Columbus didn't need directions, and neither do I!"
- Invoked: Bob decides to take a shortcut, even throwing the map out the window.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: Bob is Genre Savvy enough to know that this will cause problems, so he stays on main roads.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
- Played For Drama: The Tropers have to stay in a creepy little town with a Dark and Troubled Past involving a deranged killer.
- Played For Laughs: The Tropers had intended to go to the amusement park for the day. They instead end up in front of a strip club.
Back to Short Cuts Make Long Delays