- Straight: Nego was a Worthy Opponent of Ichigo until he made a turn for the worst.
- Exaggerated: Nego was a rival to Ichigo, but turns into a psychopathic foe killing thousands of innocents.
- Downplayed: Nego was a Friendly Rival to Ichigo, but then becomes a bitter one.
- Subverted: Nego turns out to not even have been present at whichever incident that convinced Ichigo that he has turned evil.
- Double Subverted: ... But he was the main force behind it.
- Parodied: The Academy of Evil has a strict hierarchy for villain ranks: Before the Evil Overlord is The Dragon, and just before is "Hero's Rival".
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: Nego remains an honorable rival.
- Enforced: "We need more enemies for Ichigo. How about we turn Nego evil?"
- Lampshaded: "I don't believe you, Nego! You went from my greatest opponent to my worst enemy!"
- Invoked: Evulz spreads distrust and resentment between Nego and Ichigo to have them fight each other instead of him.
- Exploited: Evulz makes Nego his personal right-hand man after his fall from grace, as having someone who knows Ichigo's strengths and weaknesses is quite useful.
- Defied: Nego refuses to give in to the dark side and remains an honorable opponent for Ichigo.
The Watson: "What's the deal with you and this Nego guy? Every time we fight him it's like you know exactly what he's gonna do! You two had some kind of history?"
- Conversed: "Did- Did Nego just cross the Moral Event Horizon? He used to be a good guy! ... Kinda!"
- Deconstructed: Ichigo becomes suspicious of Nego once the plot starts rolling, expecting him to turn evil even if he hasn't done anything to warrant it. This puts distance between them and makes Nego that much more likely to turn Ichigo's suspicions into a Self-Fulfilling Prophecy.
Back to Rival Turned Evil.