Playing With: Pregnant Hostage
: A pregnant woman is taken hostage.
- Straight: During a bank heist which turns into an armed standoff, among the hostages is Monica, a heavily pregnant woman.
- Exaggerated: Terrorists seize control of a maternity ward in which everyone present is either pregnant or in labour.
- Downplayed: Monica is only a few weeks along.
- Monica happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
- Monica is heavily pregnant; heavily pregnant women in general aren't exactly known for or that capable of offering a great deal of resistance to armed hostage-takers.
- Inverted: Monica takes people hostage while she is pregnant.
- Monica is a Pregnant Badass and extracts herself from the situation by beating up the hostage-takers.
- Monica happens to elude the criminals taking everyone hostage and must get help and defeat the criminals despite her condition.
- Double Subverted:
- Monica is normally a badass, but having discovered she is pregnant does not want to risk herself or her baby, and so lets herself be taken hostage so as to stand more chance of coming out of the situation unharmed.
- Monica eludes the hostage takers for a minute before she is discovered and captured along with everyone else.
- The hostage-takers themselves begin to panic when they realize they have a pregnant woman in the bank with them.
- The hostage-taker and Monica begin a long relationship, including other children, during the crisis.
- Zig Zagged: Monica is taken hostage having been on her way to get tested for pregnancy, and it's uncertain whether she is or not; every indicator that anyone would use to determine pregnancy has either resulted in an indeterminate result or offers contradictory results.
- Averted: There are no pregnant women in the hostage situation.
- Enforced: A writer wants to create a cheap source of tension and as such decides that a heavily pregnant woman who may or may not give birth is the perfect addition to the hostage situation being created.
- "There's hundreds of banks in this city, bro; how come we happened to choose to rob the one with a knocked-up chick inside?"
- "There's hundreds of banks in this city; how come I happened to choose to go into the one about to be robbed after my Lamaze Class?"
- Invoked: The bank heist is actually a diversion; Monica and her unborn child are the actual targets of the 'robbers'.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: Upon seeing the heavily pregnant Monica enter the bank, the robbers get cold feet and decide to abort the heist.
- Discussed: "I dunno what it is, man, but every bank I decide to rob always has a pregnant chick in it."
- Conversed: "The camera sure lingered on that pregnant woman in the line there; yep, this bank's getting robbed."
- Deconstructed: The stress, tension and fear of the situation triggers a premature birth or miscarriage.
- Reconstructed: The hostage-takers are not heartless and make every effort to ensure the health and safety of Monica and her unborn child.
- Played For Laughs: Monica is experiencing a difficult pregnancy and as such makes her hostage-takers' lives hell as they are forced to bow to her demands. When the police eventually storm the bank, they're desperate to get away from her.
- Played For Drama: Monica enters labour during the robbery. This creates problems for the hostage-takers, the other hostages, the police and, of course, Monica herself.
Back to Pregnant Hostage