Playing With: One of the Boys
Basic Trope: A female character who prefers to socialize with male characters.
Back to One of the Boys
- Straight: Alice has more male friends than female friends. (She may or may not be a Tomboy.)
- Downplayed: Alice has no aversion to socializing with other girls, but she generally acts somewhat tomboyish.
- Alice prefers to be around men because they have (theoretically) less drama than women.
- Alice's male friends have more in common with her Tomboy interests than all the dress-wearing, pink-loving, makeup-slathered women in the series do.
- Alice is a Fag Hag.
- Gender Inverted: Bob has more female friends than male friends.
- Subverted: Alice hangs out with boys all the time, but then its revealed that these boys are all her brothers making sure no boy gets too friendly with her.
- Double Subverted: Whenever she gives them the slip, she hangs out with her guy-friends.
- Alice looks and acts so much like one of her male friends that everyone is surprised to learn that she's a girl.
- Alice will drink, wrestle, and belch like the other guys, and even enjoys (non-male) strip clubs. She's not lesbian, but for all intents ad purposes other than anatomy, she is utterly male.
- Zig Zagged: Alice has more male friends than female...but her best friend is a girl...who is also One of the Boys.
- "We need a believable circle of friends for our Tomboy character."
- "We need a girl in this series, but she shouldn't be a girly-girl because our target audience is little boys".
- Lampshaded: "And these are my bros...and Alice."
- Invoked: Alice, tired of "girl drama" starts spending more time with Bob.
- Bob wants a girlfriend who can handle his, ahem, social graces.
- Alice actually doesn't like any of the things Bob and his buddies like, but she's trying to cozy up to Bob.
- Defied: Alice decides that she wants bonding with other women who understand her feelings better, and decides to give her girlfriends another chance.
- Discussed: "Don't you think Alice is too much of a tomboy- I mean...she doesn't have any female friends."
- Conversed: "Isn't it weird that almost all the characters are male except Alex?" "Alex is a girl!?"
- The guys may resent Alice encroaching on their male-bonding time; now they have to class it up more than perhaps they want to (or so they think.)
- One of the guys may have feelings for Alice but Cannot Spit It Out because they spend all their time rough housing. Alternatively, Alice has feelings for one of them but he sees her as one of his buddies, not as girlfriend material.
- Alice accepts her male friends and their conversations at face value, fart jokes and all. She also doesn't "cling" to them. In turn, they don't resent her, even enjoying her company...and her advice on how to relate to women better if she has any.
- Everyone knows where they stand with Alice relationship wise.
- Played For Laughs: Alice becomes a "relationship advice" go-to, even though she just wants to watch football. Instead of the guys telling her to hold conversations until the commercial break, she ends up telling them that.
- Played For Drama: Bob falls in love with Alice, but she is Oblivious to Love. (Or vice versa.)
Back to One of the Boys