Playing With: Odd Name Out
Basic Trope: In a group with Theme Naming, one name doesn't fit.
Back to Odd Name Out
- Straight: Four sisters are named April, May, June, and Alice.
- Four sisters are named April, May, June, and Bob.
- Twenty-six sisters are named A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y, and Alice.
- There are several cases of Theme Naming, involving anywhere from three names to ten or more, and each theme has exactly one exception.
- Four sisters are named April, May, June, and Juliet.
- The sisters' first names are April, May, June, and Alice, but they all have middle names that fit a theme: e.g. April Lena Booger, May Luna Booger, June Lana Booger, and Alice Lina Booger.
- April, May, and June are biological sisters. Alice is adopted; therefore, her name was given to her either by her biological family or by the orphanage.
- April, May, and June are triplets, while Alice is five years younger.
- Inverted: A character has explicitly stated that they named their daughters after months. April is the only one that is; her sisters are named Alice, Bonnie, and Carol. That is to say, only one name fits the supposed theme.
- Subverted: Four sisters go by the names April, May, June, and Alice. Then Alice's friends discover that her real name is July; she chooses to go by Alice because the whole Theme Naming schtick is embarrassing to her.
- Double Subverted: It turns out Alice took it one step further and had her name legally changed from July to Alice.
- Parodied: April, May, June... 4L1C3.
- Zig Zagged: Everybody knows the four sisters as April, May, June and Alice. Later on, Alice's friends discover that her real name is July, or rather was July until she legally changed it to Alice. But then it turns out that the sisters also have second names with another set of Theme Naming, meaning that Alice still doesn't break the trend. So she switches that name, too, but she took one without realizing that it went with the theme. Even later on, May turns out not to be related to the other three...
- Enforced: ???
- Lampshaded: "Your name is Alice? Why did your parents give you a different name?"
- July changes her name to Alice.
- Alice's parents decide to make their fourth daughter stand out by giving her a name that doesn't fit the theme.
- Exploited: ???
- Alice changes her name to July.
- April, May, and June change their names.
- Discussed: "What? Give her a completely different name? Why quit a winning game?!"
- Conversed: "Why does every set of names on this show have an Odd Name Out?"
- Three of the four sisters are named April, May, and June. The fourth one never gives her name, but does tell their friend Bob that her name is "not what you're probably thinking".
- During an interview with the four sisters' parents, the journalist asks them why they decided to give their fourth daughter such a different name. None of the girls' names are mentioned.
- Played For Laughs: As a Running Gag, strangers assume that Alice's name is July. Alice doesn't understand why.
- Played For Drama: It turns out that April, May, and June find the Theme Naming to be embarrassing. Alice is spared the humiliation of being named after a month, which is a sign of Parental Favoritism.
- Untwisted: April tells Bob that one of her sisters is not named after a month, but only April, May, and June appear at first. Alice is suddenly revealed later on, with no explanation for her absence in the first two seasons.
Back to Odd Name Out