: An unexplained phenomenon used as a major plot point IN SPACE!
- Straight: The Starship Future Hope is sucked into a "black hole".
- Exaggerated: The black hole is, in fact, a wormhole to another dimension.
- Downplayed: A previously unknown phenomenon knocks out communications for a few minutes, so Future Hope does not get an important update.
- Justified: All sorts of weird things can happen in an unfamiliar environment such as outer space
- Subverted: The crew manages to pull the ship out of the gravitational pull of the black hole.
- Double Subverted: Only to wind up in a tailspin and crash land on a World of Weirdness.
- Parodied: A road sign near the black hole reads, "Major Plot Point Ahead!"
- Zig Zagged: Sometimes these events are major plot points, sometimes minor or side plot points, sometimes a Big Lipped Alligator Moment, sometimes not used at all.
- Averted: Plot points are things like Good Versus Evil and other more "mundane" plot points.
- Enforced: "You know, a lot of stuff can happen in space that just can't happen in any other setting..."
- Lampshaded: "Captain, we're being...sucked into...some sort of cosmic void..."
- Invoked: Someone challenges the authority of The Captain, causing the crew to veer off course when they aren't paying attention.
- Exploited: ???
- The writers choose to stick to more mundane plots.
- The crew never gets lost or sucked into black holes, always avoiding them well in advance.
- Discussed: "There's a black hole ahead, but we can avoid it by going into hyperspace, Captain."
- Conversed: "Why are these people always getting sucked into black holes?"
- Played For Laughs: The black hole is, in fact, someone's overpowered vacuum cleaner.
Back to Negative Space Wedgie