Playing With: Mile-Long Ship
: A starship or other vessel is large enough that it's more convenient to describe its dimensions in units usually reserved for geography.
- Straight: The USS Really Big is over a kilometer long.
- Exaggerated: See Planet Spaceship.
- Downplayed: The USS Large is described as a half mile long.
- Justified: The USS Really Big is that large because ...
A) ... it's a Generation Ship and needs to carry enough supplies to last for several hundred years of flight time.
B) ... its main weapon is a railgun and can fire its slugs with greater force the longer the barrel is.
C) ... it's meant to look imposing and frighten the enemy.
D) ... the ship's height and beamnote are limited by the diameter of the Cool Gates in the Portal Network, so the only way to get a bigger ship is to lengthen it.
- Inverted: The USS Really Small is under -1 kilometers long.
- Subverted: The USS Really Big is actually several smaller ships docked together.
- Double Subverted:
- ... which are still individually over a kilometer long.
- The USS Really Big is over a kilometer long, but only on the inside.
- Parodied: A character runs from one end of the ship to the other and is all out of breath when he gets to his destination, complaining that the ship is too big.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: The USS Really Big is only 750 meters long.
- Enforced: A network executive required that the USS Really Big be over a kilometer in length in imitation of Star Wars.
- Lampshaded: A character remarks offhand that the USS Really Big is ... really big.
- Invoked: A character specifically designs the USS Really Big to be over a kilometer long.
- Exploited: With only one exit at one end of the ship, the captain has plenty of room to catch up with an enemy infiltrator that made his way deep in the ship.
- Defied: "You want us to make the USS Really Big over a kilometer long? Are you crazy?"
- Discussed: "Look at the size of that thing!"note
- Conversed: "When you read the book, did you notice they wrote the USS Really Big to be over a kilometer long?"
- Implied: The actual length of the USS Really Big is never stated, but a fan works out its length by scaling its on-screen model against objects of known length.
- Deconstructed: The USS Really Big is Awesome but Impractical, costing so much to operate that it bankrupts the country that built it and gets blown up by a much smaller ship taking advantage of its poor maneuvering and acceleration.
- Reconstructed: The USS Really Big despite its flaws has some major advantages. It is capable of transporting cargo with unprecedented efficiency per weight when fully loaded and covers the budget issues quickly with a few majorly profitable shipments. It is capable of holding smaller craft for its defense as well.
- Played For Laughs: It is implied that the ship was made so large because its funders and designers were Compensating for Something.
We could give you a proper link back to Mile-Long Ship
, but it would be over a kilometer long