: The witness called to the stand is an animal or an inanimate object.
- Straight: Tropey the Wonder Dog is called to the witness stand to testify.
- The witness in question is a goldfish in a bowl.
- The witness is a water cooler. When asked a question, a bubble comes up through the cooler.
- Downplayed: The witness in question is a talking parrot.
- Tropey is a Talking Animal or Funny Animal and therefore can speak.
- Although Tropey cannot speak in a traditional sense, the trial takes place in a fantasy or sci-fi setting in which there are reliable methods for confirming his "testimony," making Tropey a potentially valuable source of information and therefore a valid witness.
- Inverted: A human being is called to testify in a court of animals.
- Subverted: When the next witness is called and comes to the stand, it is a man accompanied by a dog, presented in such a way as to make it seem like the dog is the witness and the man his handler - it's actually a blind man with a seeing-eye dog.
- Double Subverted: The seeing-eye dog ends up providing critical evidence or testimony.
- Parodied: The witness called to the stand is Mr. Stilton... A wedge of cheese.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: Nothing that isn't human is called up to testify.
- Enforced: "We need to liven up this comedic series' courtroom episode with some Courtroom Antics!"
- Invoked: ???
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: ???
- Discussed: "Did he just call the dog to testify?!"
- Conversed: "That wouldn't hold up in any court. Well, OK, maybe in Ruritania."
- Deconstructed: This wouldn't hold up in any Real Life courtroom, and is usually done when the lawyer is getting desperate.
- Reconstructed: The lawyer has done his homework, and only calls up material witnesses. Since Tropey is a material witness, and able to speak and reason, the lawyer is justified in calling him up to testify.
- Played For Drama: Bernie's client is losing the case badly, despite being innocent; calling up Tropey is a desperate last-ditch tactic to turn the trial around.
Back to Make the Dog Testify