Playing With: Hollywood Silencer
: A gun silencer in fiction actually makes the gun silent.
- Straight: Alex fires a handgun with a silencer attached to it. Handgun makes *fwip* sound.
- Exaggerated: Alex fires a high-caliber machine gun with a silencer attached to it. It makes absolutely no sound at all.
- Downplayed: Alex's handgun still makes a *fwip* sound, but it's still kinda loud.
- Justified: Alex is using a super-advanced silencer that dampens the sound of gunshots to near-silence.
- Inverted: Alex fires a handgun with a megaphone attached to it. It makes a sound of an explosion of 1 ton of TNT.
- Subverted: Alex uses a silencer thinking it will make a *fwip* sound and is startled when it doesn't.
- Double Subverted: It's then revealed he attached the silencer incorrectly. When it's done properly it makes a *fwip* sound.
- Parodied: Alex fires a rocket launcher with a silencer attached to it. It makes *fwip* sound when fired and the rocket makes a *fwip* sound when it explodes.
- Zig Zagged: Alex shoots a mook with a silenced gun, it makes a realistic sound, and some mooks in the next room recognise it and rush in to capture him. When escaping, he steals one of their silenced guns, which only makes a *fwip* sound when he shoots them all.
- Averted: Alex fires a gun with a silencer attached to it. It makes a sound only slightly more quiet than without a silencer.
- Enforced: ???
- Lampshaded: "Wait, I didn't think silencers were supposed to do that outside of films"
- Invoked: Alex invites a silencer which makes a *fwip* sound when fired.
- Exploited: Alex, knowing that his gun has a Hollywood Silencer, mows down mooks without risking it still being overheard even as a simple loud noise.
- Defied: "This is a suppressor, not a silencer. They don't work the way they do in movies. If you shoot someone with this, people nearby will still hear it".
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: "Don't you wish silencers worked as well as they do on TV?"
- Deconstructed: Alex's silencer does silence the weapon... But in order to make it silent, the silencer is impractically large and heavy, and reduce the range and accuracy of the weapon significantly.
- Reconstructed: Alex only uses it when he needs to make absolutely sure the shot isn't heard, and makes sure to get close enough that the accuracy and range issues aren't as much of an issue.
Back to Hollywood Silencer