Playing With: Go Out with a Smile
: A dying character smiles at another as they die.
- Straight: Bob smiles at Alice as he dies.
- Bob gives Alice an extremely goofy grin and makes funny faces to cheer her up as he dies.
- Bob dies laughing like a madman.
- Downplayed: Bob gives Alice a small smile as he dies, to show he is glad that she is with him.
- Bob smiles at Alice as he dies since he cannot feel any pain from his mortal injuries any longer.
- Bob's a Death Seeker, who's finally got the honorable death he's spent decades fighting for.
- Bob feels he did something right for the first time in his life.
- Bob smiles at Alice as he's dying, but The Medic gets there in time to save his life.
- The last thing Bob feels before he dies is a massive jolt of pain, so his smile turns into a distorted grimace.
- Double Subverted:
- ...Or not. Bob dies smiling at The Medic.
- Despite being in pain, Bob still dies smiling, because he knows he will be free from it very soon.
- "What are you smiling at?" "I just got that Bond One-Liner... good one!" [dies]
- Bob is dying from a lethal botox overdose, forcing his lips into a grotesque grin.
- Zig Zagged: Bob starts convulsing, causing his expression to switch from a smile, to a frown, to a rictus of pain, to his "O" face, and finally, to a look that's partially a smile, partially sorrow, and mostly a reaction to the realization that he just shat himself.
- Averted: Bob immediately dies without smiling or anything.
- Enforced: "Let's make this more of a Tear Jerker by having Bob smile at Alice while he's bleeding to death!"
- Lampshaded: "Wow. You shoot a guy 50 times and he similes as he dies. How classy. And creepy."
- Invoked: Bob knows that smiling at Alice will comfort her and show her that she was not to blame for his death.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: "Bob, if you love me, won't you please smile?" "NO!" [dies]
- Discussed: "Should I be seconds from death, I'd try to cheer others. What harm can it do to me? I'm dying anyway!"
- Conversed: "Gasp! He's smiling at her! Do they have to break my heart even more with this season's ending?!"
- Seeing that Bob dies smiling, Alice becomes a Death Seeker because she believes that hers is a Crapsack World.
- Alternatively, it's obvious that Bob's smile is forced... He's in excruciating pain and might never see Alice again, but he forces himself to smile, for her sake.
- Reconstructed: Alice, sobbing, calls Bob out for trying to mask his pain to make her feel better. He tells her that while he might be in agony, he's genuinely happy that he got a chance to be with her at the end.
Back to Go Out with a Smile