: An African country (or Expy
thereof) is portrayed as an uncivilized Crapsack World
- Straight: Tropeland is full of jungles, natives, and torn apart by civil war.
- Exaggerated: Tropeland is a Wretched Hive, full of fights over natural resources, rape, war, extreme poverty, disease, and just general lawlessness.
- Downplayed: Tropeland may be less civilized than the other regions, but still a pretty decent place for the natives to live.
- Justified: Third-World country still governed by tribalism.
- Inverted: Tropeland is a wonderful, peaceful place full of natural beauty, and has a rich culture.
- Subverted: The people of Tropeland fight until eventually it becomes a stable place to live.
- Double Subverted: Until a disagreement erupts, resulting in war and everything bad that goes with it again.
- Parodied: The sunlight never reaches Tropeland.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: Tropeland is poor but peaceful; it is neither Hell nor Paradise.
- "We need to portray Africa in a way familiar to Westerners".
- The writer is discussing a place in Africa that really has suffered.
- Lampshaded: "Finish your Spinach Surprise! There are starving children in Bulungi who would be grateful to have even one bite of it!"
- Invoked: War erupts in a rural area of Tropeland, and authorities are powerless to stop it because it happens in such a remote area.
- Exploited: ???
- Tropeland has a good government, and is very proud of its rich culture and history.
- Or, Alice and Bob tries to make Tropeland a better place to live and make peace.
- Tropeland has its good and bad, such as showing Bob going from a populated and rather well off town into the more wild, uncivilized area.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
- Deconstructed: May lead to Unfortunate Implications; not everywhere in Africa is completely miserable like this.
- Reconstructed: The writers have Shown Their Work, and Tropeland is portrayed realistically.
- Played For Laughs: The natives are portrayed as backwards idiots.
- Played For Drama: The suffering Africans are the main characters or otherwise sympathetic.
Back to Darkest Africa