Playing With: Bodyguard Crush
Basic Trope: The bodyguard falls in love with the girl he's supposed to protect, and/or she falls in love with him.
Back to Bodyguard Crush
- Straight: After years of having her life saved by Bob, Princess Alice confesses her love for him.
- Exaggerated: As soon as Bob is designated as Princess Alice's bodyguard, she falls in love with him.
- Downplayed: Bob has protected Alice for years, and as a result, they become more like friends than having a power dynamic.
- Justified: Bob and Alice gradually warm to each other as they spend time together, and a romantic relationship emerges organically.
- Inverted: Bob can't stand Alice. Seriously, his perfect dream would be someone paying him more to kill Alice than he's currently paid to keep her alive.
- Subverted: Bob pretends to be both Alice's bodyguard and boyfriend, because Alice's father wants her to stay single for a few years.
- Double Subverted: But Bob Becomes the Mask.
- Parodied: Despite sexual incompatibility, cultural differences or the fact that one of them isn't even human (guard dogs, etc.), have never met before or been in the same time zone before the job, this happens. Hilarity Ensues.
- Zig Zagged: Bob pretends to be both Alice's bodyguard and boyfriend, because Alice's father wants her to stay single for a few years. Then Bob becomes the mask but keeps it a secret in the name of professionalism. Then Alice confesses to him and he reciporcates.
- Averted: Bob and Alice don't fall in love, and their relationship remains strictly professional.
- Enforced: "Alice needs to have her less likeable tendencies reduced ... maybe if she grew to appreciate a badass who unconditionally sacrificed himself for her, she'd become better."
- Lampshaded: As soon as the bodyguard position is accepted, the question of where to hold the wedding comes up next.
- Invoked: Alice has a crush on Bob, so she picks him as a bodyguard, hoping he will fall in love with her.
- Exploited: Colin gives Alice a Dare to Be Badass call by capturing Bob.
- Defied: Bob prefers Dana, whom he can fight alongside.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
- Deconstructed: Alice has a romance with her bodyguard Bob and is killed because she refused to let Bob die to save her.
- Reconstructed: Alice has a romance with her bodyguard Bob and learns self-defense from him to help him. They both enjoy the Hands-On Approach and Alice can provide cover fire from her safe spot away from the fighting.
Back to Bodyguard Crush