Playing With: All Just a Dream
Basic Trope: The whole story was all just a dream.
Back to All Just a Dream
- Straight: Near the end of an episode of Alice and Bob, Alice is suddenly awake, confused, and convinces herself that it was all a dream.
- A few episodes in a row were all dreams.
- The whole season was all just a dream.
- The whole series was all just a dream.
- Bob's entire life, from the moment he was born, has been a dream.
- Downplayed: Only a few minutes of the episode was a dream, and it doesn't have much impact on the plot.
- The episode continues on the cliffhanger when Alice and Bob is fighting Emperor Evulz. Then Bob calls Alice off for daydreaming, and they were really trapped inside a prison by Emperor Evulz.
- Alternatively, Alice turns out to be someone else's dream.
- Alice thinks that she's dreaming, but it turns out that she's awake.
- It wasn't a dream after all - Alice had been convinced that it was by Emperor Evulz's magic or whatever.
- Alice wakes up, holding some artifact present in the dream, hinting that it might not be a dream after all
- Double Subverted: Dream Within a Dream
- Parodied: Alice wakes up from a Dream Within a Dream, which was a Dream Within a Dream as well...
- Zig Zagged: Some variations of Your Mind Makes It Real.
- Averted: The whole episode is real.
- Enforced: "I have got a way to let Bob's actor be absent for this episode and not mess up the story line!"
- Lampshaded: "What? So it was just a dream, huh?"
- Invoked: ???
- Exploited: Alice is having a lucid dream and knows that it isn't real, and uses this knowledge to do things she would normally be called on, such as eating all the cookies, playing pranks on her classmates, and kill all the people she hates, including some innocent passers-by.
- During a dream storyline, everyone involved is up front about the fact that it's a dream, and doesn't want the viewers to be deceived into thinking it's real.
- A character wakes up from a dream and starts doing everything they can to make it really happen because they don't want it to be just a dream.
- Discussed: "What? This can't be happening! This has to be some kind of dream!"
- Conversed: "And of course it all turns out to be a dream... That favorite excuse of crappy writers."
- Dream Apocalypse: The denizens of the protagonist's dream world realize that if xe wakes up, they will all cease to exist, and they try to keep them from waking up.
- Superficial Attachment: The protagonist's dream was lifelike enough for the protagonist to grow attached to them and even become intimate with one or two. However, upon waking up and realizing that all of their friends and family members within the dream weren't real, they go practically catatonic, and they try to find a way to go back to the dream world, but since each dream is different, they cannot hope to succeed and eventually go crazy with the knowledge of an entire world that had existed within his head.
Back to All Just a Dream