With a darker atmosphere
than Yume Nikki
, this game certainly
has its share of unsettling moments and surreal images.
- Deep in the Womb Level, is the "Dying Girls Event" and perhaps the most disturbing thing in the game. You enter a room and are surrounded on all sides by small, black haired girls placed symmetrically around the room and a giant one crucified to the wall. One by one, they explode into masses of blood and guts on the floor. Finally, the girl on the wall slowly melts and her organs spill out while the screen goes to static. You're forced awake only to notice that there is now blood in your real room...
- The Candle World Kaibutsu. Even if you have the Broom effect, it still moves three times as fast as you.
- The Red Demons. They're strange red creatures with one too many mouths and with only one goal in mind, to catch you. If they do they vanish in a red haze to the tune of seriously deranged laughter, disabling any effect you have equipped in the process.
- The Rust chapter takes them to a new level. If they reach you, they slowly corrupt Rust and disfigure her body. Since you lack any effects, you can't defend yourself against them and worse yet, when they have a clear path to you they rush at you at three times normal speed. The first time this happens makes for a very potent Jump Scare.
- The giant, black and orange machine thing in Oreko's house, that Oreko can be seen working on sometimes. It's huge and looks like something straight out of a kid's nightmares. Worst of all is that when you first encounter it, there's no way you'll know that it's just a robot, just that it's especially terrifying in a game already filled with unnerving things.
- The Screaming Black Beast◊. The whole one-room "world" is the body of some large, deranged creature that's looks to be screaming in pain. The only way go further is to enter one of its mouths or use the sewer-hole to the side.
- The Corrupted School event. When you enter the school this time, the front-desk Kaibutsu are absent. First warning sign. When you walk into the first room, you're greeted with red static and Sabitsuki-lookalike Kaibutsu wielding iron pipes. The children that normally populate the halls are replaced by slim, white stalk-things with bloody eyes. If you manage to get to the end of the path, you find Smile... who promptly hammers you while he laughs heartily.
- Rust's version is arguably worse. Many Kaibutsu are replaced by giant red demons, One-Hit Kill versions, that just form out of nowhere. The Kaibutsu that do appear get turned into giant red demons as they scream painfully. And in the final room, Rust turns into one of the Kaibutsu herself, and interacting with Smile makes Rust smack him, possibly killing him.