Mayan is a dutch Melodic Death Metal band formed by Mark Jansen as a side project that uses symphonic elements and similar lyrical themes. As a result, the band is often seen as a Darker and Edgier counterpart.
- Mark Jansen – Grunts, Screams
- Ariën Van Weesenbeek – Drums, Grunts
- Jack Driessen – Keyboards, Screams
- Frank Schiphorst – Guitars
- Rob van der Loo – Bass
- Henning Basse - Clean Vocals
- Laura Macrì - Clean Vocals
- Merel Bechtold - Guitars
- Isaac Delahaye – Guitars
- Sander Gommans - Guitars
- Jeroen Paul Thesseling-bass
- Quarterpast (2011)
- Antagonise (2014)
Tropes displayed by Mayan:
- Ascended Extra: Henning Basse and Laura Macrì became full-time members in 2013, after performing as guest vocalists for Quarterpast.
- Darker and Edgier: Many see them as this to Epica
- Demoted to Extra: Simone and Floor are both session/live members here, while being the faces of their own bands.
- Epic Rocking: "Symphony of Aggression", "Course of Life", and "Celibate Aphrodite" are 6 to 7 minutes long.
- Melodic Death Metal
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: 9-10.
- Rape as Drama: The music video for "War on Terror"
- Also counts as War Is Hell
- Religion Rant Song: A common lyrical theme, alongside human greed and political stances.
- Soprano and Gravel: Mark does full vocal duty. There's a large section of clean vocals.
- Symphonic Metal: Not quite as heavy as Septic Flesh or Fleshgod Apocalypse, but they're heavier than most.