Khanate were a drone Doom Metal
band formed by Sunn O
guitarist, Stephen O'Malley. Like Sunn O))), they are known well for being Nightmare Fuel
in music form. Other band members are James Plotkin (bass), Alan Dublin (vocals), and Tim Wyskida (drums). Their band name is a term for a government or country which is under a ruler known as Khan, usually in ancient Asian countries.Lineup
- Stephen O Malley - Guitar
- Alan Dublin - Vocals
- James Plotkin - Bass
- Tim Wyskida - Drums
- 2001 — Khanate
- 2003 — Things Viral
- 2005 — Capture and Release (EP)
- 2009 — Clean Hands Go Foul
Khanate's music provides examples of the following tropes:
- Careful With That Axe: They do this all the time. ALL THE TIME!
- Metal Scream - All the vocals (except the whispered ones) are screamed, but one of the few times Alan holds a long note is at the beginning of "Skincoat".
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness - 11, no question. May cause pain to listen to from the pure heaviness. Though sometimes they can sink below a 9 on songs like "Wings From Spine" and "Torching Koroviev" (the latter which doesn't count as much as the former as it is an interlude track.)
- Epic Rocking - Their entire catalouge. Their longest are "Under Rotting Sky" (18:17), "Release" (25:03), and "Every God Damn Thing" (32:52).
- Epic Riff - A notable example is the main riff of "Pieces of Quiet". Also, if you mean "epic" by long, then every riff counts.
- Iconic Logo: This... Strange thingy right here.◊ It is actually the band's name, if you are able to decipher it.
- Indecipherable Lyrics - Well, the vocals are screamed, so...
- Last Note Nightmare - "No Joy" and "Too Close Enough to Touch".
- Love It or Hate It - Many people believe Khanate are truly frightening and disturbing, but others can pass it up as a bunch of stoned dudes trying too hard, and this unfortunately applies for alot of drone/doom bands.
- Mind Screw
- Title Drop - From "Too Close Enough to Touch" the band drops the title of the album the song is on: Outside...ugly...things viral...
- Sanity Slippage Song - Their entire catalogue. Especially "Every God Damn Thing". Read the lyrics and you'll know what I mean.
- Screams Like a Little Girl: In spades.
- Madness Mantra - Oh man, this band has PLENTY: "RED GLOOORY!" ("Commuted"), PLEASE DON'T BREATH!!! ("No Joy"), ''HELLLLLLLL!" ("Every God Damn Thing")