Music: God Dethroned
God Dethroned were a Dutch Blackend Death Metal band. forming in 1991, but went on hiatus in 1993, reuniting in 1996, then breaking up again in 2012.Formed by Henri Sattler, a demo was recorded in 1991, followed by a full-length entitled The Christhunt that was poorly received, part in due to lack of promotion of the label that they were on as well as members not sharing Sattler's anti-christian POV. As a result, Sattler placed the band on hiatus.In 1996, Sattler reformed the band with a new lineup, though some of these members also lacked the same vision that he had, managed better. In 1997, The Grand Grimoire was released under Metal Blade Records, where they stayed for their entire career, along with a rereleasing of their debut with the original artwork. The sophomore effort was much better received. The same lineup would also be part of Bloody Blasphemy, though Sanders would eventually leave after said recording, being replaced by Tony Laureano of Nile and Brujeria fame. Shortly, he left and was replaced by AriŽn van Weesenbeek, but Beef and Jens eventually left due to Creative Differences.Issac Delahaye was recruited for The Lair of the White Worm and The Toxic Touch. After another lineup change, Sattler decided to start on a set of Concept Album. Shortly after the release of Under the Sign of the Iron Cross, a year after Passiondale was released. They announced their breakup shortly after.Recently, rumors on their facebook page have spread that the band would be reforming, but it would be unknown if only to play for a short period of time onstage.
- Henri "T.S.K." Sattler - vocals, guitar (1991-1993, 1996-2011)
- Michiel Van Der Plicht - drums (2009-2011)
- Danny Tunker - guitar (2010-2011)
- Henk "Henke" Zinger - bass (2003-2011)
Notable Past Members
- Issac Delahaye - guitar (2003-2009)
- AriŽn van Weesenbeek - drums (2001-2008)
- Susan Gerl - guitar (2009-2010)
- The Christhunt (1992)
- The Grand Grimoire (1997)
- Bloody Blasphemy (1999)
- Ravenous (2001)
- Into the Lungs of Hell (2003)
- The Lair of the White Worm (2004)
- The Toxic Touch (2006)
- Passiondale (2009)
- Under The Sign Of The Iron Cross (2010)
This band displays the examples of the following
- Bald of Awesome: Henri Sattler
- Blackened Death Metal
- Concept Album: Passiondale, based on World War I.
- Cover Version: "Fire" by Arthur Brown and "Satan's Curse" by Possessed.
- Epic Rocking: "Infernal Sights of a Bloody Dawn (Morbid Rites)" off The Christhunt, "Soul Capture 1562" off Bloody Blasphemy, and "On Fields of Death & Desolation" from Under The Sign of the Iron Cross.
- Horrible History Metal: A main lyrical theme
- I Am the Band: Sattler, before they dissolved.
- Melodic Death Metal: Into The Lungs of Hell and they stayed that way until Passiondale
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: Hard 9 to a standard 10 for their entire career.
- Sampling: "The Serpent King", starts with a soundclip from the movie Death Wish.
- Satan/Religion Rant Song: Another common lyrical theme.
- Special Guest: Plenty. These are just some notable ones:
- Tony Laureano was essentially this for Ravenous.
- Nienke de Jong from Autumn, a Dutch Gothic Metal band, provided female vocals on Bloody Blasphemy
- Jorg Uken did many of the keyboards on most of The Toxic Touch, as well again on the last two albums.
- Ian Jekelis of Abigail Williams fame was a live member for a period of time.
- Start My Own: Michiel helped found Apophys, which will likely become his main band now that they're on Metal Blade.