Music: Chely Wright
Chely Wright is a Country Music singer. She is known primarily for her hit "Single White Female" and pretty much nothing else. Far after this hit, Wright was the subject of much controversy in the Country and Western fandom -who are by and large a pretty conservative bunch- for coming out as a lesbian.
Tropes associated with Chely Wright include:
- Bi the Way: The addressee of the song Like Me: "Who's gonna end up holding your hand - a beautiful woman or a tall handsome man?"
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Her fan club posed as family or friends of military members to plant requests for "The Bumper of My SUV".
- The Four Chords of Pop: The stanzas of One Night In Las Vegas start with the familiar I-V-vi-IV progression.
- Have I Mentioned I Am Heterosexual Today? and Hilarious in Hindsight: Try watching the video for ''Single White Female'' with a straight face these days.
- Hot Teacher: Played this in Max Keeble's Big Move
- Love Epiphany: Turned on its head in "I Already Do". The singer's already had hers, but the object of her affection thinks she hasn't.I gave you my heart
Can't you feel the power?
You want to see the light —
Baby, the sun's been up for hours!
- Old Shame: In-universe, "Back of the Bottom Drawer" has the singer digging through some detritus from previous relationships. She is ashamed of said relationships, but still can't bring herself to throw it away.
- Posthumous Narration: Notes to the Coroner
- Shiksa Goddess: Became the lesbian answer to this trope when she married LGBT activist, Lauren Blitzer, in a Jewish/Christian ceremony
- Three Chords and the Truth: Discussed by Emma Jean`s Guitar: "She only needed three chords to play those good ol` country songs". The song itself, however, is Not an Example.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Heavenly Days: "Tennessee tomboy, feminine girl, takin' a ride on top of the world..."
- The Unreveal: When it was announced that someone in country music was going to admit they were gay, it caused something of a stir (country fans being very conservative.) When it was revealed it was Chely Wright, the response quickly shifted to "Who?!"