Manga: The Star of Cottonland
aka: Wata No Kuni Hoshi
The Star of Cottonland (綿の国星 — Wata no Kuni Hoshi) is a 1978 shoujo manga by Yumiko Ōshima. It was adapted in 1984 into an anime movie by Shinichi Tsuji.Chibi-Neko is not a human girl with cat ears and a tail. She's a normal kitten, but she wants to be human and imagines herself as such. She is never shown as a cat, only as a toddler girl with long beautiful hair and a frilly dress. And cat ears and a tail.The story is about her adoption into a human family and her struggles with her identity as a cat. If you don't want anything that deep, it's also a Ridiculously Cute Critter story. Think of Chi's Sweet Home with a big dollop of surreality.
- Cat Girl: This series is credited with popularizing the cat-girl type.
- Cram School: Tokio failed his university entrance exams.
- Crazy Cat Lady: Or Man — the neighbourhood cat maniac sits on the fence between this and Kindhearted Cat Lover. On the creepy side, he roams the streets with a net for catching cats. On the nicer side, he takes them home to pamper and care for them in his luxurious apartment.
- Eek, a Mouse!!: Chibi-Neko gives a present to Fumiko, with predictable results.
- I'm Taking Her Home with Me!: Chibi-Neko's effect on Tokio, and his literal reaction to finding her in the street.
- Spirit Advisor: Raphael
- Throwing Off the Disability: Fumiko is said to have an "allergy" to cats, but it seems more like a cat phobia. She forces herself to interact with Chibi-Neko in hopes of conquering her fear.