Manga / Choujin Barom 1
Choujin Barom 1
is a manga by Takao Saito (of Golgo 13
fame) that was notably adapted into a tokusatsu in 1972. It revolved around two children, Takeshi and Kentaro, two children given powers by a kind alien Kopuu to transform into the superhero Barom-1 to fight Cosmic Entity
Doruge and his minions. More details below.
Later a major influence on Kamen Rider Double
Choujin Barom 1 provides examples of the following tropes:
- The Big Guy: Takeshi
- Cosmic Entity: Doruge
- Cool Car: The Machroad.
- Expository Theme Tune: A very well-loved one too among the original singer, he has used it in two of his medleys.
- Fusion Dance: An unusual variant. When the Barom Cross is initiated, the two kids just decide what Barom-1 should do and are reduced to tiny images in Barom's eyes.
- Mooks: Antmen
- Moral Guardians: Due to complaints from the Japanese PTA about the shows apparent monsters and the schoolchildren incident below, the series only lasted for 35 episodes.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: Due to school children teasing a kid about his family being named Doruge, a disclaimer had to be added stating Doruge is a fictional character.
- The Smart Guy: Kentaro.
- Swiss Army Weapon: Bop. Can transform into a car, be used as a throwing blade, a Transformation Trinket...the list goes on and on...