- Animals from different species (often otherwise enemies) working together, promising each other to help accomplish goals (in order to survive).
- They try to build a home, sometimes far away.
- Humans Are the Real Monsters (sometimes)
- A lot of problems lie in their path, which could lead to the death of (several) characters.
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
Films — Animation
- Ice Age: The main trio consists of a mammoth, a ground sloth and a sabre-toothed cat, who get together to return a human baby to his parents, but become True Companions along the way. They are joined by other mammoths, sloths, opossums and a weasel in the sequels.
- In The Land Before Time, the team consists of a baby apatosaurus, triceratops, stegosaurus, hadrosaur and pterosaur, who team up to find their lost families. The narrator points out that the world 'has never seen a herd like this before'.
- Madagascar: A lion, a zebra, a giraffe and a hippo, occasionally assisted by penguins, chimpanzees and lemurs.
- Initially subverted for Marty and Alex; they were raised together in a zoo and don't know any better. At the end of the movie, this trope is in full force for them.
- In Dinosaur, Aladar, an Iguanodon, is raised by lemurs, who stay with him even when he meets his species. Aladar and his adopted family then join a herd (led by Iguanodon Kron) consisting of other Iguanodon, Parasaurolophus, Pachyrhinosaurus, Styracosaurus, Microceratus, Stygimiloch, and Struthiomimus. Aladar then falls in with the herd's elders, a Brachiosaurus, a Styracosaurus and an Ankylosaurus. This large multi-species herd predates Aladar's birth, showing that the species are not together just because they're all going to the same place, but suggesting that the dinosaurs of this film always formed a multi-species herd.
- Finding Nemo:
- Sharks attempt such an alliance with fish and have support meetings to stop eating fish, complete with the mantra: "Fish are friends, not food!".
- The Tank Gang, who are fish, are friends with a pelican, who lampshades it when he mentions that he does eat fish, but not these fish since they are his friends.
- In Watership Down, the rabbits enlist the aid of field mice and — more significantly — the seagull Kehaar to protect their warren.
- Animal Farm: At least, at first, various farm animals team up to defeat humans. Then they are usurped by a pig with dictatorical tendencies, assisted by dogs.
- The Wise and Royal Beasts in the Firekeeper Saga have done this on occasion. But when not necessary they follow Survival of the Fittest like any other creatures.
- Lampshaded in Wyrd Sisters when the kingdom is suffering from the mismanagement of Duke Felmet and some Woodland Creatures (including rabbits, deer, foxes and wolves) show up on Granny Weatherwax's doorstep. She says this:
All I know is, whenever this...whatever it is wears off, some of you little buggers are going to want to run really quickly.
- The Animals of Farthing Wood: (The page image.) A large group of all sorts of different animals make a pact and they form friendships. They even have a 'oath of mutual protection' in which they promise not to hurt each each other and take care of each other when needed. The trope is Lampshaded by the snake, who wonders how the predators are supposed to survive if they can't eat their prey.
Badger: Remember the oath! We must stand together and fight!