Or putting a grown woman (20s to 30s) on a swing and how that's cute and/or hot. Panty Shot optional, but certainly implied. Even modern examples often imply the woman is reliving her childhood, a good 20 years ago. As the trope's name comes from the slave spiritual song "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot", this is not to be confused with Dirty Harriet, unless it occurs at some very weird strip club... Also has very little to do with Trauma Swing.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Discussed and illustrated in GA Geijutsuka Art Design Class. "The Swing" is mentioned... as is the "entertainment" usage of the art, much to Kisaragi's dismay.
- (The trope illustrator) Older Than Radio◊ � and in fact seen as mildly naughty fanservice in the early modern era. Hint: Imagine how antiquated undergarments would work on a swing.
- Kate Beaton's version of the picture, where there is no husband, the lady is engrossed in a book and her flying shoe bonks the voyeur on the head.
- This cover for Rear Entry #6. (Warning: Mildly NSFW)
- The Girl in the Red Velvet Swing, a 1955 film starring Joan Collins and Ray Milland about the Evelyn Nesbit case (see Real Life below).
- Bell's wife Marty in Terrence Malick's The Thin Red Line.
- A film called Girl on a Swing involves a statue of a Creepy Child on a swing, which is mysteriously connected to the male lead's Love Interest, who is also seen on a swing.
- Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.
- Siberiade: Nastya is riding a swing when she rejects her lover Kolya and says she'll marry Phil. This trope is combined with Sexy Soaked Shirt when it starts to rain.
- Kenneth Branagh's Much Ado About Nothing had Beatrice on a swing after she realizes she loves Benedict.
- Unsexy variation in 10 Things I Hate About You: Patrick sits Kat down on the swings when she's drunk at the Wild Teen Party and tries to keep her from passing out. She ends up throwing up on him.
- Later, there's a scene where Kat looks down from her bedroom window to see Bianca sitting on a tire swing, dressed in notably little-girlish clothes, and decides to go to the prom so Bianca can, too.
- The first Bring It On movie has a scene where Torrance sits on a swing.
- Fantasia has it in the Pastoral Symphony, when the cupids are matchmaking among the Centaurs.
- Played entirely straight in the 1993 erotic drama Sirens.
- Ann does this at a Lemp family picnic in Four Daughters—in this instance it's more of a symbol of her free spirit than a fanservice-y example.
- Django Unchained has a scene where a young slave woman is swinging on a swing very much in the style of this trope, while other slaves are working and being whipped. It's a bit incongruous and unexplained.
- Mongryong first sees and, overcome by her beauty, falls in love with Chunhyang as she is on a swing in Im Kwon-Taek's Chunhyang
- In Frozen, Anna imitates the pose of The Swing (in front of a copy of the painting, no less) while excitedly bouncing around the castle during "For the First Time in Forever".
- In Moulin Rouge!, Satine is introduced descending from the ceiling perched on a swing in a cloud of glitter and smoke.
- The Sound and the Fury: The swing in the garden is the site of one of Caddy's first trysts with a boyfriend, and much later, her daughter Quentin also goes there with a boy.
- Kristina, one of the heroines in Vilhelm Moberg's The Emigrants novels, is fond of swinging and continues to do it in secret even when she's an adult. She first met her husband, Karl Oskar, while recovering from a wounded knee after she fell out of a swing, and interprets it as a sign that God makes bad things happen only so good things can come out of them. The musical adaptation, Kristina från Duvemåla, opens with Kristina on her swing.
- Subverted in Superwally: The Advanced Wally Manual by Paul Manning, which describes "Wallettes" as sitting on the swings in public playgrounds to gossip, and swearing at small children who want a go. Not cute or hot.
Live Action TV
- Pushing Daisies has it on the promo pictures.
- Harry Enfield once did a parody of this trope. He made this Darker and Edgier film titled 'Poppet on a Swing' in one of his sketches.
- There's an advert for a spa in the UK press with some lady in a low-cut one-piece swimsuit on a swing.
- An old episode of The Wild Wild West, with the straitlaced Girl of the Week being hypnotized into this.
- 313 in the 2009 version of The Prisoner, several times when she's brooding.
- In the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "Hollow Pursuits", Barclay's holographic version of Beverly Crusher sits in a swing wearing an enormous frock.
- In the Bones episode The Girl with the Curl, Hodgins takes Angela swinging for their first date.
- Played for laughs on Snuff Box, in a sketch where Matt Berry is a 19th Century gentleman trying to woo a lady ("Will you christen this swing I have errrrrrrrected?") When he finds out that she's already engaged, he throws her off the swing and calmly announces "Fuck you!"
- Catatonia, "Dead From the Waist Down".
- TLC's "No Scrubs" video.
- The John Anderson song Swinging:
Little Charlotte she's a darlin'she's the apple of my eyeand when I'm on the swing with hershe makes me almost highCharlotte is my lovershe has been since the springI just can't believe it startedOn her front porch in a swingjust a swingin'
- The illustration for the Red Fox species in the Ironclaw rulebook has a female Red Fox in a scene very similar to The Swing.
- One episode of The Muppet Show had special guest Theresa Brewer in a recreation of the Fragonard painting. She attempted to sing "Spinning Wheel" while being pushed by Sweetums.