Skirt over Slacks
Tori: Maybe this is just some dumb girl thing.A fashion choice in which a woman wears a skirt (or dress) over a pair of pants or shorts. In Anime, it's common for some girls to wear bike shorts under their skirts, the characterization usually being one of shyness or tomboyishness (athletes are popular users of this trope). See also Modesty Shorts, for when a girl wears shorts under her miniskirt to avoid Panty Shots, and Tights Under Shorts, the sister trope to this. It's also a very common outfitting choice in Kid Com shows, as well as for Adorkable female characters. Note that this is applicable only when either the skirt or the pants could be done away with completely without making the outfit too risqué. Oddly enough some shows will still grant the wearer a Magic Skirt even though there's no panties to see. Often seen in Real Life.
Daniel: Like when girls wear skirts over their jeans?
Tori: Yeah, what's up with that?
Daniel: Like when girls wear skirts over their jeans?
Tori: Yeah, what's up with that?
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Sakura is an example for both variants. Before the Time Skip, she wears tight shorts underneath a quipao-like dress, afterwards she keeps the shorts and wears them with a short skirt and a sleeveless zipper vest.
- The standard attire for Sound ninja follows a similar design as Sakura's first outfit. The top is a long tunic that falls to mid-thigh with a split on the sides, worn over either slacks or shorts.
- Pretty Cure:
- Worn by Hibiki with one of her casual outfits in Suite Pretty Cure ♪.
- Save for the Fresh Pretty Cure!, Suite Pretty Cure ♪ and Happiness Charge Pretty Cure teams, bike shorts under a skirt is a common piece of the Pretty Cure outfit. However, thanks to the wonders of Magic Skirt, it's impossible to figure out certain ones unless the shorts are visable.
- Done with tunics by the main characters in Dangaioh, including The One Guy.
- Haruhi Fujioka in Ouran High School Hostclub often wears a dress over jeans when she's not required to Cosplay as a boy.
- Sasami in Pretty Sammy actually wears the bike shorts over skirt variant in the OVA.
- Eva from Umineko: When They Cry, which also resemble a Chinese Cheongsam.
- Chihaya in the first five minutes of Chihayafuru when she is tacking a karuta club flyer to the bulletin board. Miyauchi-sensei was not pleased.
- In Sangatsu no Lion, Hinata Kawamoto's casual wardrobe mainly consists of dresses over jeans.
- Part of Android 18's signature outfit from Dragon Ball Z is a skirt worn over a pair of jeans.
- Mekakucity Actors: Takane Enomoto◊/Heaphone Actor/Ene wears tight black shorts to mid-thigh beneath her plaid skirt. Hiyori also wears similar shorts beneath her pink dress.
- In Xam'd: Lost Memories, Yunbo, the Team Mom on the Zanbani postal ship, wears what appears to be a long skirt over a collared work shirt, pants, and work boots.
- Word of God is Tohru from Fruits Basket wears shorts underneath her school uniform, though we never see them.
- Kirin of Koufuku Graffiti often wears a pair of sporty shorts under her skirts. In episode 8, she even took her skirt off in front of Ryou, showing her sportswear underneath.
- Fumina Hoshino of Gundam Build Fighters Try wears bike shorts underneath her school uniform skirt. So does MS Girl Super Fumina, a model made by Minato of her.
- In Supergirl: Cosmic Adventures in the 8th Grade, Supergirl wears a pleated red skirt over her Supergirl outfit (which is otherwise identical in design to Superman's usual costume). She was drawn with shorts under her skirt in the regular comics as well before her costume changed with the universe reboot in 2011.
- Misfit, the teen member of the Birds of Prey, usually wears knee-length bike shorts under her short skirt, probably for the same reasons as Supergirl, above.
- In IDW's Transformers "-ations" series, the tomboyish Verity Carlo◊ wears a skirt over leggings-style pants.
- Shugo Kino in Pretty Cure Heavy Metal already wears her gym shorts (which actually resemble shorts) under her uniform whenever she goes to school at Isuten Junior High, but this trope is a LOT more obvious in the colder months, where she wears blue jeans under her uniform instead (as seen in later season 1 episodes), which allows for a non-Fanservicy variation of Dress Hits Floor in one scene in episode 41.
Films — Animation
- In Hoodwinked, Red Puckett's outfit is a white shirt, a red-hooded cloak, and a blue skirt worn over blue jeans. She eschews the skirt entirely in the sequel.
- MK's attire throughout Epic is a skirt over leggings paired with a pink hoodie.
- My Little Pony Equestria Girls:
- Human!Rainbow Dash with bike shorts.
- As well as Human!DJ Pon-3 with tight pants, as seen in the Rainbow Rocks shorts.
- Edith from Despicable Me wears this with her regular outfit and her ballet tutu.
Films — Live-Action
- The heroine of Juno wears this on her poster, and a few times throughout the movie. At one point, she takes off the skirt when she goes to see Paulie, which Word of God says he knows her well enough to give her a hard time about.
- In Sky High the GF of the main character wears a flower print skirt over jeans.
- In Hidalgo, Jazira wears a long tunic over pants, a very common outfit for Arab women during that time period.
- Kick-Ass. Hit Girl wears a pleated schoolgirl skirt over her purple superhero jumpsuit.
- Cirque du Soleil: Worlds Away: Mia wears knee-length pants under her dress, most apparent during the finale when she spins and her dress flares out.
- Gossip Girl: Serena wore outfits like this in the early seasons. In later seasons... not so much.
- iCarly: Carly and Sam, on occasion.
- Jade regularly wears black leggings with black skirts. In Tori Goes Platinum, Tori wears a sparkling gold skirt with black jeans and knee high boots as part of her makeover.
- Tori and Cat's Boyfriend mention how they hate it.
- Sonny With A Chance: Tawni, Zora and Sonny all have worn clothes like this from the start of the show, and for Tawni, it's pretty much every episode.
- Wizards of Waverly Place: Alex has this in the title sequence.
- Averted in Austin & Ally. Ally wears dresses or skirts on their own, often achieving various high grades of Zettai Ryouiki. The few times she wears pants or shorts she doesn't match them with skirts. Trish averts the trope despite using layering of long t-shirts to achieve a similar but not as pronounced effect to what it would be if she were wearing actual skirts as per the trope.
- Tosh does this in an episode of Torchwood because she wants to dress up to impress someone, but it's also really cold out.
- Power Rangers:
- In Power Rangers Mystic Force, Vida wears long pants under her skirts, and Udonna has a removable skirt... thing.
- Kira of Power Rangers Dino Thunder occasionally wears this, but will sometimes forget a layer.
- This is the standard uniform for female B-Squad cadets in Power Rangers S.P.D. and Lily of Power Rangers Jungle Fury.
- Emily of Power Rangers Samurai typically wears capris under her skirts.
- Super Sentai:
- Naomi Wildman in Star Trek: Voyager.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Buffy occasionally wore this in the first season. In season two, they got a new costume designer who didn't get the appeal of the look and did away with it.
- Eureka: Holly Martin the Adorkable nerd wears this type of clothing.
- Game of Thrones:
- Daenerys's usual Dothraki outfit has riding leathers with a skirt over it. Her maternity clothes have a larger skirt over her normal outfit.
- Irri wears a skirt over leggings.
- Rocky Blue on Shake It Up wears these sometimes, however most of the time, if she took off the pants, the skirt would be highly inappropriate for any show, let alone a Disney Kid Com.
- Degrassi: Maya wore a plaid schoolgirl skirt over black leggings in episode 23, season 12.
- In A Brother's Price Jerin wears tight trousers with a codpiece. He notes that the long tunic worn over it makes it a bit less indecent. (The codpiece is very much in fashion at court, but farmer's boy Jerin is used to a bit higher standards of decency)
- Gotcha Force: Usagi wears a plaid skirt over her pants.
- Harvest Moon: Island of Happiness:
- Natalie wears a tan skirt over black pants (Though, her sprite and official art makes it hard to tell if the skirt isn't actually a waist apron).
- A favorite for female player characters;
PonyJill (''Another Wonderful Life'', ''DS Cute'') wears a skirt over pants, and Angela (Tree of Tranquility), and Molly (Animal Parade) wear visible shorts under their skirts.
- In The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, you have the option of wearing a skirt over your trousers, regardless of gender. You'll see enemies doing the same.
- Touhou: Meiling and Shou.
- Shiki in her real body in The World Ends with You.
- Final Fantasy:
- May from Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire and her several counterparts.
- Chie Satonaka from Persona 4 wears cycling shorts underneath her skirt. She doesn't ride a bike, so much as she needs them to cover up while fighting: she's particularly fond of roundhouse kicks.
- The ending of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha As Portable: The Gears of Destiny shows that Amita's non-fighting outfit is a Wild West inspired blue dress worn over thick pants tucked into a pair of boots.
- Some of the armor sets in The Last Story have a Showgirl Skirt over pants, the hunter's greaves's skirt being a fur pelt.
- In Fire Emblem Awakening, the player's avatar wears a skirt over their breeches. Regardless of gender.
- Sock in Welcome to Hell is a real male example of this. He wears a purple skirt over his pants.
- Abby in Ctrl+Alt+Del wears a skirt over ripped pants/leggings which was recolored as a skirt over tights after it was discovered she looked exactly like another artist's drawing.
- In The Zombie Hunters' extended Flash Back, the youngest Zombie Hunter Katie sometimes sports this look, in contrast to her more utilitarian teammates.
- Katara in Avatar: The Last Airbender, Suki during and after "The Boiling Rock", and the Fire Nation girls in their Beach Episode.
- Code Lyoko
- Sissi wears a miniskirt over jeans as part of her standard outfit during Seasons 1-3.
- Also, Aelita's dress over pink pants in Season 4.
- Aelita's Season 4 avatar have arguably a transluscent skirt over spandex leggings.
- Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi, Yumi wears a black skirt over what looks like purple bike shorts.
- Sissy from Johnny Test wears this.
- Alice, Vici, and Ms. Mimi in Angelina Ballerina: The Next Steps.
- In the Looney Tunes short, Hold the Lion, Please, it was done hilariously. At the near-end of the cartoon, the antagonist lion was revealed to be a Henpecked Husband, leading Bugs Bunny to boast that he wears the pants in his family. At that moment, Mrs. Bugs Bunny appears, and after Bugs slinks back into his burrow at the sight of her, she turns to the viewing audience, and says...
Mrs. Bugs Bunny: Eh, WHO wears the pants in this family?
(she immediately lifts up her dress, revealing a pair of men's slacks)
- Xiaolin Showdown: Kimiko in "The Return of Pandabubba".
- Pepper Potts in Iron Man: Armored Adventures
- This was sometimes used as a form of rebellion in the days when school Dress Codes required girls to wear skirts to class.
- Often adopted as a practical solution in the winter months, by girls or women who want to wear skirts but don't want their legs to freeze off when they're walking around outdoors. The pants or jeans may or may not be discarded once they're inside.
- The Churidar and Salwar Kameez are "default" versions of this trope; they retain the appearance and the practicality of the skirt-over-slacks theme, but are not usually worn without the pants, because the tops have two cuts on either side, going up to the waist. This actually serves two purposes: one, it gives more freedom of movement, and two: it looks pretty stylish.
- They're also practical in the Middle Eastern and South Asian countries where they're primarily worn; skin covering is essential to prevent sunburn, but the outfit also has to be loose to allow air to circulate.
- The concept of "bloomers", puffy pants under a skirt, was an attempt to do this in the 19th century. But some still found it indecent.
- One early Feminist who tried the style gave it up; according to her every time she gave a speech on women's rights to a male audience they were so busy staring at her ankles they didn't hear a word she said.
- Girls in Modern Orthodox Jewish communities often wear skirts over jeans.
- This is common among Muslim women who feel (or are forcefully instructed) that "modest clothing" necessarily involves wearing long, loose, flowing garments—in public, at least. Such women often wear more fashionable outfits—often including slacks or jeans—under the loose garment, which would be taken off at home or in female-only settings.
- Quite apart from any cultural reason, this was a favourite look of Trinny Woodall of What Not to Wear fame... and one of the few that never did creep into the mainstream of the UK for much of the 2000s. T&S got their way about A-line skirts, wedge heels, stretch-sided knee-boots and fitted tshirts. This one, assigned usually to tall or short-legged women never convinced anyone.
- At least in Germany, this was part of women's fashion around the millennium. The twist: It was one piece of clothing, a pair of long pants with a micro-miniskirt in the same color sewn on.
- Male example: Toshiya, bassist of Visual Kei band Dir En Grey, has been known to sport a skirt over his jeans.
- Another male example: Kanye West has been known to sport a leather skirt/kilt over jeans, debuting the look in his Watch The Throne Tour with Jay-Z.