of Multi-Mook Melee
. What separates it is its radialness
. A character will be in the center of a ring of Mooks
and then proceeds to kick ass inside that ring. During such fights Back-to-Back Badasses
is very useful or a Spin Attack
because Everything's Better with Spinning
You'd better hope your enemies adhere to Mook Chivalry
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Occurs once in a while in Bleach when a larger number of hollow (or in one Filler Arc, Ninja) turn up.
- In Mahou Sensei Negima!, Asuna and Setsuna's battle against the demons in Kyoto played out like this. Once they began to realize that either girl could cut them down with a single stroke, they kept their distance and attacked more strategically in this fashion.
- Mazinger Z: Although the anime used a Monster of the Week approach most of time, in the original manga Dr. Hell was smart enough to send a lot of Mechanical Beasts at once, and Kouji constantly found himself in the center of a ring of enemies. It also happened a lot in the movies (Mazinger-Z vs Devilman and Mazinger-Z vs Great General of Darkness).
- In early Ranma One Half Akane had to do this to get to school every day because of a stupid challenge proposed by Tatewaki Kuno: whoever defeated her in a fight would become her suitor. Of course, it all stopped since word got around of her and Ranma... well... Being together, that's it.
- Science Ninja Team Gatchaman: It nearly happened in a daily basis, with the Spectra commanders sending a legion of Mooks to try to overwhelming the team with sheer numbers. Needless to say, it was not a very effective strategy.
- Seen in Seto no Hanayome by Nagasumi after he gets to be affected by Sun's singing during an episode.
- Most of Naruto's opponents usually pull off this trick due to his preference of using Shadow Clones.
- The Dark Knight Saga is full of this as well. Batman seems to find himself surrounded on all sides rather frequently; however, they don't just wait for the next guy to get knocked down but rather attack all at once. Fortunately, Conservation of Ninjutsu is in full effect each time.
- The Bruce Lee film Fist Of Fury has an early example.
- This happens in Kill Bill (Volume 1) in the Crazy 88 fight scene.
- The Lord of the Rings'': the Balrog chases them off before the fight actually happens but in the Mines of Moria, the Fellowship finds itself completely surrounded by a really absurd number of goblins.
- The Multi Mook fights in The Matrix, particularly the fight against the Smith clones in the second film, pretty much define this trope. They notably do a reasonable job of averting or justifying Mook Chivalry, and in the most extreme instances, we see hundreds of Smiths crowding around and dancing circles around Neo as he violently brandishes his tetherball pole, thrashing anyone who gets too close. Then he loses the pole and everything goes downhill from there.
- River in Serenity fights off Reavers coming at her from all sides.
Live Action TV
- In BIONICLE 3: Web of Shadows, the Toa Hordika are surrounded by a horde of Visorak this way in the Coliseum arena. The fight goes on and on with the Conservation of Ninjutsu in place, until they're finally overwhelmed by the spiders and surrender.
- Megas XLR engages in this frequently, with Coop in the middle and a lot of Aliens, Robots or Alien Robots surrounding him in nearly every battle that isn't a Duel Boss. Coop typically then would casually rip the arms or legs off the nearest Mook, (Or just pick up said Mook,) before laying down some serious Grievous Harm with a Body.
- When this happened in the pilot (1000 Glorft robots), Kiva's robot was standing next to Megas. Kiva said the odds weren't good, Coop agreed and trashed her robot to even the odds.
- During the big fight scene at the climax of Robots, Cappy and Piper become encircled by mooks. They do a literal version of this trope: Cappy swings Piper around in a circle, smashing every mook that has the misfortune to come in contact with her feet.
- Happens in Shrek with Fiona and the Merry Men as well as the wrestling scene in Farquaad's arena.