Magistrate: "It is the treasury supplies the expenses of the War."
"That's our first principle – no War!”
When a character or group is too utterly swept up in their own need of being a pacifist or making sure that everyone/anyone else is pacifist, to the point where it slightly or completely prevents the hero/party/group in progressing to their goal or weighs them down immensely.
of Honor Before Reason
Compare Suicidal Pacifism
and We Have Become Complacent
Similar to Thou Shalt Not Kill
May lead to Too Dumb to Live
Anime and Manga
- Despite being the Sin of Wrath, Meliodas from Nanatsu No Taizai is a Technical Pacifist who chooses to be Willfully Weak and not kill his opponents. While this mindset works out early on in the manga as he and his fellow Sins are vastly more powerful than their opponents, it becomes a deterrent when they encounter the Armored Giant. Not only is this demon so strong that only using their full strength and killing it is the only way to stop it, but killing it is also the only merciful thing to relieve its suffering. Meliodas initially doesn't want to go this route and even hinders comrades of his that want to. It's only when the gravity of the whole matter is apparent to him that he decides to actually stop holding back.
- In Deathworld 2, Mikah Samon is a "pacifist" who opposes Jason's plan to foment revolution (and later a war of consolidation) on the planet they've crashed on, even though in the existing political system most people are slaves and all the factions are too busy keeping a tight grip on their own technological monopolies for anyone to actually make any progress. His "principled resistance" led him to betray Jason twice (once to the gang he was undermining and again later to his chosen victors' enemies), the second time causing Jason to take a wound he wouldn't have survived if rescuers from his homeworld hadn't found them.
- The Sword of Truth has the beliefs of the culture that produced evil pacifists that are absurd to the point where they won't fight back or even try to get out of the way when people with weapons are nearby and trying to kill each other. Indeed,they are Too Dumb to Live.
- The community of Fisherman's Horizon in Final Fantasy VIII has a large proportion of pacifists amongst its citizens, and the Mayor, Dobe, tries to stop SeeD from fighting to defend the town from invading Galbadians in favour of attempting negotiation. He has no idea how to react when he learns the Galbadians are under orders to raze the town, nor when SeeD fights on his behalf and ends up saving his life.
- Many pacifists who would be a Conscientious Objector to military service are also opposed to paying taxes to fund the military. In the United States, The National Campaign for a Peace Tax Fund works to pass a national law to allow conscientious objectors to redirect their tax money to be used only for non-military purposes.