aka: Hot Shounen Mom
"A universal rule of anime: Not all hot chicks are mothers, but all mothers are hot chicks."
Many series have a mother (often a Christmas Cake
) who is noticeably attractive - in appearance and disposition, she is more often than not hot enough to give Mrs. Robinson
a run for her money. She is almost inevitably an Absurdly Youthful Mother
and as a rule, Hilarity Ensues
as she will almost certainly be mistaken for her children's cute big-sister
, much to their embarrassment.
This rule tends to hold most strongly for the lead character, while a side character is more likely to have a bombastic overbearing mother
. Lead female characters, especially in Unwanted Harem
series, can also have such mothers; if the lead lives with her, it's a general rule. Occasionally the character is an aunt or big sister, but this is rare.
For completion's sake, the generally accepted term in Great Britain for this phenomena is Yummy Mummy
The first American Pie
film popularized a variant term, MILF (short for "Mother I'd Like To..." and you can fill in the rest). Instantly adopted by the porn industry, the term is widely applied to any mature female, regardless of her actual motherhood status (as such it is also commonly applied, if technically incorrectly, to Mrs. Robinson
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Cattleya from Queen's Blade who like most of the characters in this Panty Fighter series fights with little clothing. Her outfit is just a an apron-like dress (with nothing underneath) which somehow manage to restrain her massive chest (largest in the series). Unlike the rest of the cast she's a mother. She's enters queen's blade with her young son Rana to search for her husband.
- Great Teacher Onizuka:
- Julia Murai. Justified in that she gave birth to her son when she was 14, and she was only three or four years older than Onizuka himself. This becomes an important part of her son, Kunio's, characterisation, as one of his defining traits is his protectiveness of his mother from strangers who hit on her.
- In the rare occasions Nodoka lets her hair down, she doesn't look any older than Kasumi (and younger than the adult Miss Hinako, at that.) Even in her first appearance, everyone is so stunned by her beauty that Ranma himself can't believe Genma could ever marry someone like her.
- Karin :
- Kenta Usui's mother Fumio was so hot she kept losing jobs due to employers, coworkers, and customers hitting on her.
- This seems to be a almost constant in the Digimon franchise.
- Sayuri Daimon from Digimon Savers. Touma appears a bit smitten with her, and her son, Masaru, is not amused by this.
- Ruki's mother Rumiko is... well, a supermodel. And for good reason. Ruki's mother is intentionally young, though, doing the math you realize she gave birth to Ruki at around age 17.
- Kodomo no Jikan gives us Aki, mother of Rin, who falls in love with (and vice versa) with her cousin. She dies of lung cancer before the series even starts.
- Cecilie aka Cherie in Kyou Kara Maou is absurdly hot: she is fond of outfits that leave little to the imagination (in one occasion even going to the extent of wearing a dominatrix like cat suit with whip) and flirting with her son Wolfram's fiancé...who happens to be a guy.
- Prince of Tennis:
- Yuuki, Akutsu's mother. She's so beautiful that Kawamura's friends mistook him for a cake eater when they saw them talking. Well, she is just 33 years old, having given birth to Akutsu when she was 19.
- Hakufu's mother, Goei, in Ikki Tousen. Hakufu's male cousin Koukin wakes up next to her naked, sleeping body after a night of drinking, and when she wakes up and the covers slide off: BOI-YOING-YOING!! Now he knows where Hakufu gets "them" from, indeed...
- Kaoru's mother in Zettai Karen Children is still looking good well into her life, and at one point she and her daughter try to seduce Minamoto. The chief of BABEL is infatuated with her.
- Yasuko, Ryuuji's mother in Toradora. She has F-cup-sized breasts and works at a Hostess Club, making enough money to support her and Ryuuji. Unfortunately, she's also a Hard Drinking Party Girl, so he tends to be rather embarrassed by her behavior. And then it turns out that she also was an Absurdly Youthful Mother, who gave birth to Ryuuji when she was in her mid teens and ran away from home due to that.
- Josuke's mom Tomoko, which was pointed out by at least three people over the course of the arc.
- Eri Kisaki, Ran's mother, is also quite the beauty. She's in her late 30's/early 40's and is still able to fill in a tight bathing suit and wear short skirts very gracefully. Even Shinichi (and lots of men in the manga) think she is very beautiful.
- Shizuka, Heiji's mother. Kogoro has an crush on her before finding out she's actually 42 (meaning, she's older than him) and is the mother of Heiji. Even Conan and Ran think she's hot.
- Daisuke's mother, Emiko. At one point in the series she tries on her old high school uniform for the heck of it and it still fits perfectly.
- Full Metal Panic:
- Sagara Sousuke's mom was revealed (in his backstory) to be darn beautiful. Her gorgeousness is even lampshaded by Kalinin, who, although already married, still couldn't help but gush about how "surreally beautiful" she was - especially the way she calmly and emotionlessly faces death. Guess this safely cements where we know Sousuke inherited his "surreal beauty" from.
- Kotori's mother in Yu Gi Oh Zexal appeared in one episode, and both Tokunosuke and Takashi were quickly impressed by her beauty.
- Anna Feeple from Ninja High School received attention from various characters in the series. Especially Phrank. (In his defense, he was a teenage hormone-case.)
- In an issue of John Byrne's original run on Superman Supes meets Jimmy Olsen's mom who, despite having silver hair is very young looking and hot, apparently having Jimmy when she was barely out of her teens. Jimmy even wondered if there was any chance of his mother and Superman getting together...
- Love and Rockets has many. There's Luba, skinny, raven-haired with G-cup breasts. She has seven kids, and one of her daughters has a child, making Luba a GILF. Then there's Petra, a Hispanic natural blond with soccer girl legs and hips, gargantuan breasts (later surgically reduced to just "big") and an insatiable sexual appetite. And Maria, their glamourous bombshell mother, and Luba's daughter Guadalupe. 'Lupe even gets hotter after giving birth, since it's only then that the "Maria curse" kicks in. Namely, huge tits — it's genetics. Finally, there's Pipo, not a descendent of Maria but still hot all the same. She has a bodacious rear that earns her countless slavering fans and a full-grown son. She's also a Lipstick Lesbian.
- Dizzy Cordova from 100 Bullets, though her son is dead before the story begins. There's a lot of panels drawn to emphasize her shapely rear end.
- Yunny from Yenny is the title character's mother. Despite being a mother of three (two of which are college aged) she has the same busty hourglass figure as Yenny and shares Yenny's fashion, as she's usually seen wearing extremely short hotpants that show off most of her butt and legs.
Film - Live Action
- Alberta Watson in Spanking the Monkey. One of the characters refers to her as a "red hot mom," much to her son's annoyance.
- Geum-ja, the protagonist of Sympathy for Lady Vengeance. It's frequently remarked on in-story.
- Evan's mother in Superbad. (His friend Seth said, "I am truly jealous you got to suck on those tits when you were a baby.")
- Leigh Ann in The Blind Side and doubles as a Mama Bear. The film even lampshades it with one particular scene where Leigh Ann was walking and Michael's football teammates (and coach)'s eyes follow her.
- Nora Walker from Tommy not only wins a "Lovely Legs Contest" five years after having her son (the title character), but looks exactly the same around fifteen years later. Well, apart from her rather frightening getup during "Do You Think It's Alright?" but definitely in her slinky Rich Bitch outfit from "Champagne."
- Harry Potter:
- Harry's mum, Lily, was apparently a hot mom, repeatedly being described as beautiful. While she may strictly speaking be too young for the classic definition, she was a mother and was hot.
- Blaise Zabini's mother is described as "famously beautiful" in Half-Blood Prince, more accurately fitting this trope. She's also known for her husbands dying in mysterious ways and leaving her large amounts of gold.
- Esme is the adopted mother of the Forks Coven: Edward, Alice, Rosealie, Jasper, and Emmett. The reader is frequently reminded about how Esme is both ungodly beautiful and more motherly than anyone below the age of 40 should be.
- The fact that having sex with her probably will result in a painful, messy death does turn some people off. Then again, there's her husband Carlisle...
- Grover's mom in the book When Grover Moved to Sesame Street. Seriously.
"And by the way, I don't mean to be crude about this, but check out her can. Not in a disrespectful way, but take a look. In all of the Perm Years stories — and they number in the many — there wasn't a single picture that suggested that Grover's Mom had anything in the way of a back porch. Most of the time Perm Mom was sitting down, often in a rocking chair. But in this book, there's three different pictures that show off her butt, on three consecutive pages. Forget the long dresses and granny glasses. The girl is putting it out there. This is not your father's Grover's Mom."
- Cersei Lannister in A Song of Ice and Fire is still hot enough after three kids to have guardsmen telling randy jokes about her...and for it to be a not-inconsiderable weapon in the game of thrones. Catelyn Stark might count too: A five-way civil war was probably started because a guy was jealous of her husband.
- Sandy Calhoune, in Chris Crutcher's Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes. Eric, the protagonist, is her son; his buddies all have crushes on her to some degree. (Steve Ellerby openly flirts with her at one point.)
- Funny Boy: As a young child, Arjie views his mother as the epitome of female beauty.
- Lady Susan: Lady Susan is a mother of sixteen-year-old girl in Regency Era England where people didn't have wonders of cosmetics to improve good looks. She's in her mid-thirties, but looks in her mid-twenties. Read an extract from Catherine Vernon's letter, describing her appealing appearance, and bear in mind that Mrs Vernon doesn not like this woman.
"She is really excessively pretty; [...] I must, for my own part, declare that I have seldom seen so lovely a woman as Lady Susan. She is delicately fair, with fine grey eyes and dark eyelashes; and from her appearance one would not suppose her more than five and twenty, though she must in fact be ten years older, I was certainly not disposed to admire her, though always hearing she was beautiful; but I cannot help feeling that she possesses an uncommon union of symmetry, brilliancy, and grace."
Live Action TV
- Gilmore Girls:
- Lorelai is mistaken for Rory's sister in the Pilot, and at times actually acts less mature than her. Rory gets annoyed at gawkers aimed at her mom. Justified, as Lorelai did give birth to Rory at age 16.
- Lane becomes a hot mom in the last season, having twin babies in her early twenties. She has always been a very cute girl, but by this time, they had stopped dressing her down.
- Anna Nardini (played by Sherilyn Fenn) is still very attractive for being the mother of a teenager. She's tall, slim and has the Italian dark beauty. However, there is no indication that somebody considers her daughter April and Anna sisters.
- In Raising Hope, Sabrina would now be considered this since she married Jimmy and is now the mother to Hope.
- Spin City introduced Raquel Welch as Paul Lassiter's Mother. And yes, Raquel still has it going on! Paul is completely unaware of how people see his mother till he was beaten over the head with some clues. Then he has a complete mind-plosion. 'Oh my god! My mom is a smoking hot kuchie mama.!' Some Brain Bleach may have been required.
- One episode of Grounded for Life has Sean finding out that his wife Claudia is the Hot Mom of the neighborhood (apparently every neighborhood has at least one) and acting like it was an honor.
- Star Trek: The Next Generation: Doctor Beverly Crusher had a teenage son and looked gorgeous. She was very pretty and looked very young. Captain Picard had the hots for her as their Unresolved Sexual Tension was at play quite a lot. By the end of the movies (about 15 years after the first episode), she is in her early 50s and verging on Grandma, What Massive Hotness You Have territory.
- An episode of What I Like About You sees Jeff successfully hit on & set a date with an attractive divorcee....shortly before learning that she's Gary's mother. Gary is not pleased.
- Friends: Chandler Bing's mum (Morgan Fairchild) is a gorgeous woman, and it's hard to imagine she has a son in his late twenties/early thirties. Poor Chandler even pictures himself in bed with her, no matter how freaky and squicky it is for him. His friend Joey admits he fantasizes about her as well.
- Newsradio: She's never seen on camera, but Dave's mom is apparently this - at least to Jimmy.
Jimmy: Is she still married to that guy?
Dave: Dad? Yes.
Jimmy: Alright, but you'll let me know if anything happens, right?
- Samantha Taggert, giving birth to her son when she was about fifteen. One of her son's friends remarks that he has such a hot sister ...
- 30 Rock parodied this trope when Cerie got engaged. When asked why she's marrying so young, Cerie, who can't be over twenty-one, explains she's running out of time to be a "young, hot mom."
- There's also the Show Within a Show MILF Island, which is just Survivor but with Hot Mom contestants and 8th grade boys voting.
- Though she didn't live long enough to be ogled by the neighborhood teens, Mary Winchester could still be considered an example. Even her own son (when he goes back in time and sees her as a young woman) notices. To his dismay:
Sammy, wherever you are, Mom is a babe
) I'm going to Hell. Again.
- Disturbingly lampshaded by the angel Zachariah in season 5's "Dark Side of the Moon": "She's quite the MILF."
- Modern Family:
- Gloria Pritchett, who married the rich-but-much-older patriarch of the family (see the picture above) and is actually younger than her daughter-in-law. Her unbelievable looks are the center of many plotlines.
- Will McKenzie's Mom, Polly (played by Belinda Stewart-Wilson), on E4's The Inbetweeners is consistently described as "fit" by his mates — and school bully, Mark Donovan — and they freely tell Will how much they'd like to "shag" (et al.) her.
: Please don't have a wank
over my mum. Neil
: Can't promise that I'm afraid, Will.
- Jill Taylor in Home Improvement was very attractive, despite being old enough to have three teenage sons. It's also noteworthy that when her sons saw a picture of her as a young lady, they said she was a babe and asked their dad who she was. When told it was their mom, they felt sick and ruefully said: "I just called my mom a babe."
- Boardwalk Empire:
- Gillian Darmody (Gretchen Mol) counts as one, being the mother of Michael Pitt's Jimmy. Luciano sleeps with her thinking that she is Jimmy's wife. Also counts as a Hot Grandmother.
- True Life featured two Real Life teens whose moms were this trope. One girl's mom had huge breasts and constantly paraded them around for all to see. The other girl's mom was a party girl who loved pageants.
- Atia, mother of two, of Rome is this and Ms. Fanservice to boot. She's introduced nude and moaning in sexual ecstasy, then shortly after shown emerging naked and dripping wet from the bath. Niobe's also lovely, though much less fanservice-y.
- At least one person on Impractical Jokers certainly thinks this of their own mother, signing herself and her up for the fictional "My Mother's A MILF" club.
- Scott's mom from Teen Wolf is rather pretty. And Peter Hale doesn't hesitate to point this out, either.
- Murdoch Mysteries: Enid Jones is a very pretty and very young woman who is courted by Detective Murdoch for a time in season 2. It's hard to believe she is a widow with a ten-year-old son.
- The narrator's wife in the classic comedy song "I'm My Own Grandpa," describes as "purdy as could be" despite being old enough to already have an adult daughter from a previous marriage. She apparently goes for younger men, and her daughter for older men, and these two facts taken together lead to, well...
- The sequel has a much older (50-ish) example, the Player Character's mom Leandra, introduced with a Fanservice-y boob shot.
- Rutee becomes one of those in Tales Of Destiny 2. Even Loni, her son's best friend, seems to have the hots for her.
- Team Fortress 2 - The BLU Scout's mother, so sexy the RED Spy had an affair with her and was caught in the act by the BLU Spy. (Surprisingly hot considering her character model is more or less the Scout with boobs and a wig.) And she has had at least EIGHT children and still kept her figure.
- Shuffle: Ama Shigure, Asa's absolutely adorable mommy. Before she's introduced, she's believed to be their age, and Itsuki hits on her.
- Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni has Shion and Mion's mother, Akane. However, we never see anyone else's parents, so...
- Except in the manga where Ooishi even comments on Keiichi's mother being beautiful. She is.
- Susan, Will's mother, is a tall, leggy, tan-skinned, buxom, raven-haired woman who looks all of twenty-five despite being about forty.
- Kim Possible:
- Mrs. Dr. Possible, seriously.
Drakken: So, Kim Possible and her...sister?
Mrs. Dr. P.: Is he hitting on me?
Kim: It's a sidekick thing. They confuse him.
- Gold Digger:
- Fred Perry also does cheesecake and beefcake art, as well as situations based on and/or mocking his experiences in Final Fantasy Online. Then he animated a bit here about his character Misi and her rather outrageous (and outrageously MILF-tastic) mother. The scene is even paced to "Stacy's Mom" by Fountains of Wayne, the song quoted from at the top of this page. ** Also counts in his normal comic. Julia Diggers is pretty good looking, except for the age-lines. Which are now gone, thanks to her "renewing breath" technique de-aging her about twenty years.
- The Simpsons:
- We have a number of in-universe references to Marge being very attractive, particularly in the episode where she was accidentally given Gag Boobs-style implants. Marge has even appeared on the cover of Maxim magazine and Playboy. Not in the show; in real life. Matt Groening himself confessed to finding Marge "pretty hot" on one of the early DVD commentaries.
- Maude Flanders was a beautiful mum when she was still alive. Especially Homer commented on her hotness.
- Manjula Nahaasapeemapetilon. She looks much younger than her husband Apu, and she is an extremely beautiful Indian woman with lavish thick long raven black hair. Having octoplets didn't destroy her beauty at all, and she's as attractive as ever.
- The Replacements:
- Karen Jane "K" Mildred Daring ("Agent K"). In the episode "Field Trippin'", every one of Todd's friends confesses to having a crush on her.
- Peg from Goof Troop, who has an Impossible Hourglass Figure (usually wearing a revealing shirt to go with it) after having two children whose ages put her in at least about her mid-thirties. As was shown when she posed as a date for her son, she can pass as a teenager several people find hot (including the little boy whose house she commandeered briefly for the plan). She has received unwanted advances from men other than her husband a couple of times, wondering why she's with him.
- M.O.M from Martin Mystery. Skin-tight latex outfit, and occasional slinky dress
- Tatyana, the Ex-Wife of Dr. Orpheus, and mom of Triana from The Venture Brothers. The Master uses her hotness to tease Orpheus when he comes to visit...and jumprope naked in front of a mirror.