Fine, You Can Just Wait Here Alone
The latest mission or pursuit of the Monster of the Week
is about to commence. However, The So-Called Coward
or Commander Contrarian
absolutely refuses to go along this time. His teammates, rather than pressing him to Never Split the Party
(as he probably expected), say, "Fine, you can just wait here alone." Five seconds later, the thought of waiting alone for whatever danger or villain is lurking out there becomes scarier than the thought of facing it with the team, so he runs after them.
A form of Morton's Fork
. Compare/contrast Let's Split Up, Gang
. Not to be confused with Wait Here
- A variation in One Piece: When Zoro, Nami, and Robin want go explore Upper Yard, Chopper is staying back to guard the ship alone. The variation comes from that Chopper isn't made to guard the ship because he was too fearful to go with the others (even though he is a bit of a coward); they simply needed someone to guard the ship so it wouldn't get stolen/destroyed, and Chopper was probably just chosen by drawing lots or something. When the three others have left, Chopper thinks to himself that they are extremely brave for going into the dangerous jungle, but then he realizes that he is the one who's in danger, because he is all alone on their ship in the middle of a land with tons of bloodthirsty villains.
Live Action TV
- In Conan the Destroyer, Malak refuses to go to the castle in the swamp with the others - then says to nobody in particular, "They need me!" and jumps in the boat to keep from being left alone.
- Happens in the first live action Scooby-Doo film. Daphne needed Shaggy & Scooby to go into a castle with her when they refuse. So she says, "you're not going to stand out here alone are you?" which gets them very eager to accompany her.
- Chihiro in Spirited Away originally refuses to accompany her parents into the haunted amusement park, but follows when they decide to leave her behind. It turns out she was right about the place.
- In the Axis Powers Hetalia movie Paint it, White!, Germany says this almost word for word to Italy, as the nations go to sneak onto the Pictonian mothership
Italy: *waving white flag* I'll wait for you guys here.
Germany: Italy! You are coming inside with us!
Italy: What? But I would rather not. Willingly walking into an enemy's spaceship seems kind of reckless to me. Plus, I don't want to get my costume all dirty!
Germany: Fine. Then stay here alone.
Italy: Ah! Being alone is worse than anything!
- All in the Family: A little girl the Bunkers were taking care of didn't want to go with with the Bunkers on a trip.
Archie: Well, all right, you can stay here then. (starts to go then stops) But I gotta warn yas about the thing in the attic. You got to place a bit of beef in front of the door and you can't go in there at night... NEVER at night. Well, later...
(Bunkers go outside)
Edith: Archie are you sure...
Archie: Three... two... one.
Girl: (comes outside quickly) Wait!
- Sonic the Hedgehog (2006): In a scene before Flame Core, Tails discovers that a Chaos Emerald is inside a volcano. Rouge is displeased with this, only for Knuckles to tell her if she doesn't like it, then she can stay here. However, she does eventually go with the others.
- A recent Exterminatus Now comic has Eastwood refuse to help Virus rescue a group of Tyrusian Pilgrims because he thought he saw a spider daemon through his binoculars (he's extremely arachnophobic). So Virus heads down on his own, but not before telling Eastwood that if there really is a spider creature creeping about, it would be nice to have someone watching his back instead of being left all alone where it could easily creep up on you. Eastwood quickly follows Virus.
- Too many times on Scooby-Doo to count.
- The Little Mermaid, when Ariel is dragging Flounder along to investigate a sunken ship:
Ariel: All right, I'm going inside. You can just stay here and... watch for sharks.
Flounder: Okay, yeah, you go. I'll stay here... what? SHARKS?! Ariel!
- From the blackout episode of Rugrats:
Chuckie: (from under his blanket) No way, I'm not goin'! Not this time! This isn't just regular-plain-old scary, Tommy. This is THE DARK! There's no light at all, not even a night light! Forget it, Tommy. I'm. Stayin'. Right. Here.
Tommy: Okay, Chuckie, whatever you say.
(The other three go off, leaving Chuckie sitting silently under the blanket for a minute.)
Chuckie: (panicking and running after them, still under the blanket) Hey, wait, you're not gonna leave me?! WAIT! I'm coming, too!!
- My Life as a Teenage Robot: Tuck and Brad come across an abandoned UFO, and, of course, Brad decides to try to get in, despite Jenny telling him not to. Tuck is against it, fearing what kind of freaky alien things could be inside, and Brad responds that he can stay outside with the lions and tigers and bears.
Tuck: Pfft. Lions and tigers and bears. (animal growls in the distance; he runs inside) Oh my.
- In the The Super Mario Bros. Super Show episode "The Bird!" Luigi refuses to hike up a snowcapped mountain. Mario decides to leave him be, mentioning that Luigi should watch out for any polar bears lurking nearby. Luigi, slightly more afraid of being eaten than being crushed in an avalanche, follows after the gang.
- Danger Mouse: This exchange from "The Good, The Bad And The Motionless," after our heroes land at Stonehenge to investigate a disturbance:
DM: I'm going in there to investigate; you wait here.
Penfold: (on the verge of panic) Wait here?? On me own? In the horrible gloom? Wait here???
DM: Alright, alright...no, you're right Penfold. I'll wait here and you go investigate. (beat)
Penfold: I know, chief.
Penfold: I'll wait here and you go investigate!
DM: (drolly) What a good idea, Penfold. Why didn't I think of that?
- In an episode of Camp Lazlo, Lazlo, Clam and Patsy want to search for their escaped pet snake, but Raj is too afraid to join them and says he'll stay in the cabin. When Patsy mentions he might still be in the cabin, Raj instantly tags along.