Everything's Better with Dinosaurs
But the rooster was determined to get it back with the aid of his trained dinosaurs! Orson:
Trained dinosaurs? Where did the trained dinosaurs come from? Roy:
Same place all those ninjas came from
— U.S. Acres
, "The Name Game"
Well, it's true. Dinosaurs are cool
. No exceptions.
Since dinosaurs actually existed
in the past, some writers like to throw them into their stories. In many cases, this makes no sense at all, but when dinosaurs show up, we're generally in the realm of awesome for the sake of awesome
. Generally, the dinosaurs seen will be restricted to a few well-known types
The essence of this trope is the presence of dinosaurs which are not ultimately critical to the plot. If the story would be essentially the same without dinosaurs, it's an example. On the other hand, if dinosaurs are integral to the premise
, it's not an example.
Note that just because a series provides a reason
for there to be dinosaurs does not mean it isn't an example of this trope. Sure, a dinosaur altmode might very well be a good idea for a Transformer, but the real reason for a dinosaur form is to appeal to young boys
Despite the name of this trope, it can cover examples that are not technically dinosaurs. Other extinct reptiles, like pterosaurs, plesiosaurs, and dimetrodons would fall under this trope. And while it may be a stretch, since we don't have individual tropes for Everything is Better with Woolly Mammoths/Woolly Rhinos/Saber-tooth Cats/etc., these examples would get grouped here.
See also Dinosaurs Are Dragons
(in which case this trope overlaps with Instant Awesome, Just Add Dragons
) and Artistic License – Paleontology
. Compare Dinosaur Media
open/close all folders
- The Fighting Fantasy gamebook Island of the Lizard King involved the reader trying to assassinate the king of a race of lizardmen. For no particular reason, one of said lizardmen is seen riding a Styracosaurus at one point.
- Ellen's Energy Adventure at EPCOT, which is about power sources, contains an extended sequence involving dinosaurs. This in itself was based on the Primevil World diorama at the Disneyland Railroad.
- Jurassic Park River Adventure at Islands of Adventure, is of course based off the franchise Jurassic Park. Besides the ride there is a whole island based around the franchise as well. The ride by it self is there in the other various Universal parks as well.
- The primeval sequence in Back to the Future: The Ride features an up and close encounter with a massive T-Rex.
- xkcd has velociraptors in many of its comics.
- No museum, theme park, or children's book is complete without dinosaurs.
- Yup. Even museums devoted to fine art. They gotta have a dinosaur.
- There are actual realistic dinosaur suits you can find online. However, they are deathly expensive if you want to get one of your very own.
- You know why paleontology is more popular among kids than, say, epidemiology. Yup. it's the dinosaurs. Every kid has a dinosaur phase. Of course if they pursue their interest at an academic level, they'll find out it's hard work. That's not to say that Jurassic Park wasn't hard work too.