open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Happens early on Lovely Complex too.
- In Ranma One Half, Ranma goes on a date with Ukyo so he can spy on Akane's date with Ryoga. Ryoga and Ranma inevitably end up fighting, and both transformed into their curse forms.
- At the start of Marmalade Boy, a play on this is the explanation behind the current relationships of the main characters' parents, though the truth is more complicated.
- In episode 28 of Jewelpet Sunshine, Ruby ropes Tour into going on one of these with Kanon and Mikage so she can spy on what they do.
- The four main characters in Tonari no Kashiwagi-san go out on a double date to an amusement park. Only Kotone actually fails to realise it's a date at all.
- The movie Keeping The Faith, although one of the couples on the double date are in fact the other character's best friends, only pretending to be on a date, and only there for moral support. Bonus points for one of the best friends being a priest.
- When Harry Met Sally... has a flagship use of this trope, including "Bob" and "Dana" getting together.
- The plot of Drinking Buddies is set off by a cabin trip that turns out to be one of these. During the trip, Jill and Chris (Alice and Carlos, respectively) wind up kissing, while the UST between their actual paramours Luke and Kate is the primary source of drama throughout the movie.
Live Action TV
- Smallville: "Escape" has an accidental and really awkward one with Lois/Clark and Chloe/Oliver, since Lois and Clark had no idea that that Chloe and Ollie were seeing one another...before running into them wearing bathrobes together when they accidentally book the same bed and breakfast. The next morning, the four of them end up sitting a the breakfast table, still looking hilariously awkward. Ollie amusingly tried to break the tension: "Look...little jellies."
- Castle does this in "The Third Man"; though he and Beckett are more interested in talking about the case at hand than each other, it does end up the same: They step out to solve the case, and their dates hook up.
- The Cheers episodes "Save the Last Dance For Me" and "Diane's Perfect Date".
- Happens on Noah's Arc, with Dre (who is with Noah's ex Wade) inviting Noah over for dinner. Unbeknownst to Noah, this is to set him up with Dre's friend Quincy. Though there's clear Unresolved Sexual Tension between Wade and Noah, in later episodes Noah actually does start to fall for Quincy.
- El Goonish Shive: Tedd and Grace with Ellen and Nanase. This led to Tedd and Ellen finally making progress in their friendship, though they may disagree on whether it's a preexisting friendship or a new one, due to Ellen being an Opposite-Sex Clone of Tedd's best friend Elliot... it's complicated.
- In Kevin & Kell, post-divorce Martha and George go through a period of taking dates to the same restaurant at the same time. At least once, this results in their dates leaving with each other while George and Martha sulk.