Dressed for kicking ass, while showing hers off.
: "Whoever she is, I like what she's not wearing!"
Coach: "...the crowd seems delighted."
trope, where Action Girls
wear short, above-the-knees skirts.
This is a great way to show off her long legs
, but the anticipation of getting an eyeful underneath
is also welcomed, despite the bruises that might come from trying to sneak a peek. Sometimes, it doesn't have to be a skirt - it could be a minidress, a miniskirt, or a torn-apart garment that conveniently serves as a skirt. In addition, getting a Panty Shot
isn't always guaranteed, but it can compensate by including Zettai Ryouiki
, Stocking Filler
or Thigh-High Boots
, to further emphasize the legs.
A skirt qualifies as dangerously short if it's high above the knees, prone to swirling aside (despite physics saying otherwise
) and appears tight enough to ride up for a Panty Shot
. Being an Action Girl
is an added bonus, and a common subversion is to have her as a Faux Action Girl
or a Neutral Female
This trope does make a tiny
bit of sense: if you're wearing a tight skirt into combat, you'd want it to be pretty short. The longer it is, the more it'll restrict your leg movements. However, wearing a looser, longer skirt would work just as well. Or wearing, ya know, pants
. Or shorts
of She's Got Legs
, Stocking Filler
and Zettai Ryouiki
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- This regularly shows up in Bleach:
- Tier Harribel, after she goes One-Winged Angel, dons a more stripperific outfit which leads to this.
- Lisa Yadomaru wore both a ruffled miniskirt as a lieutenant, and a schoolgirl skirt as a Visored. She's fought in both outfits.
- Riruka Dokugamine sports a minidress, but surprised fans (who thought of her as a Faux Action Girl) by being a gun-toting Combat Pragmatist.
- Ying and Yang, the Bodyguard Babes of Kusaka in the second movie, wear and fight in schoolgirl-type skirts.
- Rukia Kuchiki one kicked Shrieker in the jaw while wearing a school uniform. The skirts' length is even lampshaded by Kon when he looks up at her after she kicks him to the ground.
- Orihime Inoue wears one in the tenth opening theme song, called Shojo S. She also wears a schoolgirl uniform, complete with Zettai Ryouiki following the Time Skip, but when she tried to fight, she was taken by surprise and ultimately lost.
- Even Senna isn't exempt from such a fashion choice, but she's never fought while in it.
- Homura from the third movie has her Shihakusho modified in such a way that the lower half is turned into a miniskirt. Like Senna, Homura herself never fights in it.
- Ino Yamanaka on Naruto has a short skirt, and while she's proved herself to be an Actiongirl, she wears bandages under it. Temari (who's more like a Lady of War) could qualify as this as well, with all but one of the outfits she's worn that's incorporated a short skirt.
- Rachel Summers from the X-Men, after she took up her mother's mantle as Marvel Girl. She wore a version of her mother's green miniskirt costume (slightly modified to fit current fashions, since the dress didn't age well from the 60's).
- Trinity wore two, one with pantyhose as a member of the Six Heroes, and another as Platinum.
- Makoto Nanaya's costumes only had straps keeping her skirt held in place.
- Final Fantasy:
- Terra of Final Fantasy VI is one of a long line of Dangerously Short Skirt wearers in the Final Fantasy series; particularly noticeable in Dissidia. In her original game, it looks more like she's wearing a Leotard of Power, but it's close enough to her official art that it may be the case that it's just that short.
- Final Fantasy VII's Tifa Lockhart wears a leather mini as animating a skirt that covered her legs was too technically complicated.