We've switched servers and will be updating the old code over the next couple months, meaning that several things might break. Please report issues here
Dressed for kicking ass, while showing hers off.
: "Whoever she is, I like what she's not wearing!"
Coach: "...the crowd seems delighted."
trope, where Action Girls
wear short, above-the-knees skirts.
This is a great way to show off her long legs
, but the anticipation of getting an eyeful underneath
is also welcomed, despite the bruises that might come from trying to sneak a peek. Sometimes, it doesn't have to be a skirt - it could be a minidress, a miniskirt, or a torn-apart garment that conveniently serves as a skirt. In addition, getting a Panty Shot
isn't always guaranteed, but it can compensate by including Zettai Ryouiki
, Stocking Filler
or Thigh-High Boots
, to further emphasize the legs.
A skirt qualifies as dangerously short if it's high above the knees, prone to swirling aside (despite physics saying otherwise
) and appears tight enough to ride up for a Panty Shot
. Being an Action Girl
is an added bonus, and a common subversion is to have her as a Faux Action Girl
or a Neutral Female
This trope does make a tiny
bit of sense: if you're wearing a tight skirt into combat, you'd want it to be pretty short. The longer it is, the more it'll restrict your leg movements. However, wearing a looser, longer skirt would work just as well. Or wearing, ya know, pants
. Or shorts
of She's Got Legs
, Stocking Filler
and Zettai Ryouiki
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Yuri Nakamura, Kanade Tachibana, Shiina and Yui from Angel Beats!
- Beet the Vandel Buster has Milfa wears micro-miniskirts, Poala as well.
- This regularly shows up in Bleach:
- Tier Harribel, after she goes One-Winged Angel, dons a more stripperific outfit which leads to this.
- Loly Aivirrne qualifies by wearing a schoolgirl-themed skirt despite being an Arrancar.
- Rangiku Matsumoto enjoys wearing one when she's in the human world.
- Lisa Yadomaru wore both a ruffled miniskirt as a lieutenant, and a schoolgirl skirt as a Visored. She's fought in both outfits.
- Riruka Dokugamine sports a minidress, but surprised fans (who thought of her as a Faux Action Girl) by being a gun-toting Combat Pragmatist.
- Ying and Yang, the Bodyguard Babes of Kusaka in the second movie, wear and fight in schoolgirl-type skirts.
- Rukia Kuchiki one kicked Shrieker in the jaw while wearing a school uniform. The skirts' length is even lampshaded by Kon when he looks up at her after she kicks him to the ground.
- Orihime Inoue wears one in the tenth opening theme song, called Shojo S. She also wears a schoolgirl uniform, complete with Zettai Ryouiki following the Time Skip, but when she tried to fight, she was taken by surprise and ultimately lost.
- Cirucci Sanderwicci wears a gothic lolita-style dress. Pesche Guatiche even tried to take a peek since her skirt was so high up.
- Even Senna isn't exempt from such a fashion choice, but she's never fought while in it.
- Homura from the third movie has her Shihakusho modified in such a way that the lower half is turned into a miniskirt. Like Senna, Homura herself never fights in it.
- When Nelliel turns back into her adult form, her clothes don't change with her leaving a cropped top and a miniskirt.
- Nemu Kurotsuchi wears a miniskirt so far above her knees that it's a wonder why she hasn't received a Panty Shot yet, especially since it fully shows off her legs.
- Nozomi Kujo from the Invading Army filler arc.
- Agnese Sanctis from A Certain Magical Index, which is strange considering that she's a nun and she gets really offended if someone looks up her skirt.
- Similarly, the female Ashford Academy uniforms in Code Geass.
- In Dance in the Vampire Bund, Mina wears one.
- Lenalee of D.Gray-Man wears one with Modesty Shorts underneath.
- Anri's skirt in Durarara!! is ridiculously short.
- FLCL. Mamimi Samejima wears one of these, but she's not an Action Girl.
- Fresh Pretty Cure! has Cure Peach and Cure Berry.
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00 has Louise Halevy, in the second season. She almost qualified as a Dark Action Girl, though, what with her (admittedly justified) level-upping in jerkassity.
- In Hellsing, Seras Victoria has a short miniskirt, but only one Panty Shot.
- High School Of The Dead is a famous example, where every Action Girl has a skirt.
- Any of the girls in Ikki Tousen.
- Kagome Higurashi from InuYasha. That's supposed to be her school uniform.
- Togame in Katanagatari has a very short ripped-up skirt.
- In the anime version of Love Hina, Motoko wore a school uniform with Girlish Pigtails, slight Zettai Ryouiki and a Dangerously Short Skirt while holding a book. However, she doesn't get to fight in it, and it's used against her by the resident Clingy Jealous Girl, who seduced her while disguised as Naru as part of a Batman Gambit.
- Running absolutely rampant in Mahou Sensei Negima!, where about 98% of the female characters wear them.
- Ino Yamanaka on Naruto has a short skirt, and while she's proved herself to be an Actiongirl, she wears bandages under it. Temari (who's more like a Lady of War) could qualify as this as well, with all but one of the outfits she's worn that's incorporated a short skirt.
- One Piece has this as one of Nami's outfits. The next one is even more questionable.
- Pokémon anime has Dawn Hikari and her hip-length skirt, disturbing considering her age. She's not an Action Girl, though, since she leaves most of her fighting to her Pokémon.
- Queen's Blade has Captain Liliana.
- In Rosario To Vampire, this is the source of much of the fanservice in the anime. A Dangerously Short Skirt is apparently required by the dress code. At one point, the Moral Guardians attempt to require all female students wear much longer skirts (ankle length), which fails due to intense opposition from the students.
- Shazam: Mary Marvel
- Rachel Summers from the X-Men, after she took up her mother's mantle as Marvel Girl. She wore a version of her mother's green miniskirt costume (slightly modified to fit current fashions, since the dress didn't age well from the 60's).
- The title character of Sexy, Naughty, Bitchy by Tata Young. It's the first line of the chorus, even.
I pick all my skirts to be a little too...
- Monster High has Draculaura, Clawdeen Wolf and Abbey Bominable. Since the franchise is targeted at kids, all three have Magic Skirts.