Breathe on the Fan
Since rotary fans essentially "chop up" air as part of its function, speaking or breathing into a fan will cause a distortion effect on the voice.
Even if it's a recent production, anime and manga use the wire-cage-&-clear-blue-blade fans that haven't been sold in the US since the 1990's (small fans nowadays will typically have a plastic cage instead of steel; wire-cage fans are still sold, but they're likely to be the large commercial variety). These fans are increasingly rare in Japan, too, but since most manga authors grew up in the '90s or earlier
, they're still present in their works.
Note that you can achieve a similar vocal effect with a modern plastic fan. The old wire-frame ones are
somehow more satisfying, though.
Not to be confused with Fan Speak
getting breathed on.
Anime and Manga
- Lucky Star: Konata and Tsukasa do it. Kagami calls them out on it, but Kagami's father mentions that she does the same.
- In the manga, the question of whether or not Kagami does it never comes up; she says Tsukasa was doing it earlier, and that's the end of that.
- Also happens in Hidamari Sketch, where Yuno and Miyako catch Sae talking into the fan, pretending to be an alien.
- Azumanga Daioh: Osaka does this while riding with Nyamo to Chiyo-chan's summer home.
- Pictured above, Kaguya Houraisan in the official Touhou yonkoma strip Inaba of the Moon and Inaba of the Earth. If you're wondering about the bunnygirl's reaction, they're from the Moon.
- Ritsu in Season 2 episode 11 of K-On!.
- Komori in Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei on explaining what she would do on days of privation.
- Nozomi does it in Mayoi Neko Overrun!. "Nya-a-a-a-a-a-a-a..."
- Yukito does this in an early episode of AIR.
- Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo once got second place in a contest for doing this.
- The iDOLM@STER: Hibiki does this once before the Beach Episode.
- Thermae Romae: After being transported to modern-day Japan, Lucius finds himself inexplicably compelled to do this.
- Nichijou: Yuuko is tempted into doing this, but cannot due to a label prohibiting it.
- Everybody Hates Chris: Chris's father is so cheap that he even complains about how much electricity this stupid fan game uses.
- MythBusters showed a similar effect during the episode "Brown Note" when Adam stood in front of low-frequency speakers. Adam being Adam, he naturally took advantage.
- Come on. You know you've done this.