Breathe on the Fan
most manga authors grew up in the '90s or earlier, they're still present in their works. Note that you can achieve a similar vocal effect with a modern plastic fan. The old wire-frame ones are somehow more satisfying, though. Not to be confused with Fan Speak or fans getting breathed on.
Examples:Anime and Manga
- Lucky Star: Konata and Tsukasa do it. Kagami calls them out on it, but Kagami's father mentions that she does the same.
- In the manga, the question of whether or not Kagami does it never comes up; she says Tsukasa was doing it earlier, and that's the end of that.
- Also happens in Hidamari Sketch, where Yuno and Miyako catch Sae talking into the fan, pretending to be an alien.
- Azumanga Daioh: Osaka does this while riding with Nyamo to Chiyo-chan's summer home.
- Pictured above, Kaguya Houraisan in the official Touhou yonkoma strip Inaba of the Moon and Inaba of the Earth. If you're wondering about the bunnygirl's reaction, they're from the Moon.
- Ritsu in Season 2 episode 11 of K-On!.
- Komori in Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei on explaining what she would do on days of privation.
- Nozomi does it in Mayoi Neko Overrun!. "Nya-a-a-a-a-a-a-a..."
- Yukito does this in an early episode of AIR.
- Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo once got second place in a contest for doing this.
- The iDOLM@STER: Hibiki does this once before the Beach Episode.
- Thermae Romae: After being transported to modern-day Japan, Lucius finds himself inexplicably compelled to do this.
- Nichijou: Yuuko is tempted into doing this, but cannot due to a label prohibiting it.
- Tommy Boy: Luke... I am your father!
- Done by a giant, dementia-suffering grandfather in Big Man Japan... with an airplane's propeller.
- Rizzo and Pepe do this in Muppets from Space as part of a scheme to get Gonzo to build them a Jacuzzi.
- Shriek if You Know What I Did Last Friday the Thirteenth: The Killer spoke through a fan to mimic Ghostface's voice modulator. Dawson and Martina find the fan when they search him (it's one of those end-table models that really has no hope of being portable).
- Everybody Hates Chris: Chris's father is so cheap that he even complains about how much electricity this stupid fan game uses.
- MythBusters showed a similar effect during the episode "Brown Note" when Adam stood in front of low-frequency speakers. Adam being Adam, he naturally took advantage.
- This is how the vocal effect on "I... AM... IRON MAN!" was achieved.
- Come on. You know you've done this.