"That’s the look of a woman who just realized she’s being followed up the red carpet by Paris Hilton. A real calm-in-the-eyes yet screaming internally look."Multi-hour annual program, typically broadcast early in the year, dedicated to showcasing an organization (usually involved in the media in some way) by handing out little statuettes to a small number of its members. The presentation of the awards themselves is interleaved with Filler and musical numbers. At their best, awards shows can be bright, entertaining television celebrating the best and brightest of a particular field of endeavor. Even then, though, such programs are often slow and ponderous, with only the host's jokes and the various musical numbers to liven things up between the inevitable Award Snub and the N variations of the same basic "thank you" speech every recipient gives. Usually features an Obituary Montage. Awards shows have spawned their own Stock Phrases and Catch Phrases:
—DListed on Mélanie Laurent
- "I'd like to thank my mom and dad..."
- "The envelope please..."
- "And the winner is..."/"And the [name of award] goes to..."
- City Dionysia. The Ur-Example from Ancient Greece
- The big three in the US are The Emmys, The Grammys and The Oscars.
- And in the UK, the BAFTAs.
- Other televised UK awards shows include The Brit Awards (for pop music), and The British Comedy Awards (for comedy).
- Don't forget the Tonys, at least for the theatre gurus. And the Oscar precursors (and, usually, predictors), the Golden Globes.
- Spoofed in This Hour Has 22 Minutes. Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien is approached at a press conference and awarded a faux Gemini (the Canadian television and movie award) for "Best Acting in a Political Role". Chretien, not missing a beat, immediately responds, "I'd like to thank my mom, and my dad..."
- Parodied on KaBlam! with the "Ka Blammy Awards" in season one, and episode 29.
- The Care Bears to the Rescue Movie (set in the continuity of Care Bears: Adventures in Care-a-Lot) features the Care-a-Lot Rescue Awards, which included all of the Catch Phrases listed above and awards similar in style to Oscars, but shaped like Care Bears.
- The Gospel Music Industry has its own award show, The Stellars.
- The Brewing Network: The BN As (The Brewing Network Awards), which is usually the first episode of the year.
- Parodied with Cartoon Network's "1st 13th Annual Fancy Anvil Awards Show Program Special (Live in Stereo)"
- During one of the oscar live specials on "On Cinema", they gave out awards for movies though most of the awards went to the host's web series "Decker". It was implied that the host was the only voter for these awards.