Literature / Wolfheart
World of Warcraft: Wolfheart is a novel by Richard A. Knaak. The story chronicles a series of pivotal events in the aftermath of the Cataclysm, as conflict engulfs every corner of Azeroth. Hungering for more resources amid the turmoil, the Horde have pressed into Ashenvale to feed their burgeoning war machine. There, acting warchief Garrosh Hellscream has employed a brutal new tactic to conquer the region and crush its night elf defenders. Unless the Alliance can overcome its own political strife, the new warchief might succeed in seizing Ashenvale.
Wolfheart is the story of King Varian Wrynn's struggle to accept the worgen of Gilneas into the Alliance and come to terms with the wolf within himself. As the Horde threat emerges in Ashenvale, Varian's ability to triumph over his own failings will determine the fate of the entire Alliance.
This book contains examples of:
- Animal Motifs: Varian is associated with Lo'gosh.
- Badass in Distress: Malfurion is captured by Maiev.
- The Bus Came Back: Jarod Shadowsong appears after the War of the Ancients and Maiev Shadowsong after the events of Burning Crusade.
- Cain and Abel: Despite Jarod being the one to oppose Maiev, Maiev is the Cain to Jarod's Abel as she is in the wrong and almost kills him when he tries to stop her from murdering Highborne and killing the captive Malfurion.
- Calling the Old Man Out: Anduin discusses several differences between himself and Varian.
- Empowered Badass Normal: Varian is empowered by the wild god Lo'gosh.
- Can't Argue with Elves: Furion attempts to invoke this trope to get Varian to reconsider letting the Worgen join the alliance, but Varian still refuses.
- The First Cut Is the Deepest: It's implied Shandris still has feelings for Jarod even after ten thousand years.
- Parents as People: Varian's flaws as a parent are shown along with his good intentions.
- It's Personal: Varian has a personal animosity towards Genn.
- Kick the Morality Pet: Varian hurts Anduin's arm in an attempt to prevent him from leaving with Velen.
- Out of Focus: Velen and the Draenei. It gets to the point that they are not invited to the meeting of leaders of the Alliance.
- "Reason You Suck" Speech: Varian gives a harsh one to Genn and the Gilneans when he learns the Night Elves are trying to arrange for them to join the Alliance.
- Shipper on Deck: Tyrande assigns Shandris and Jarod to accomplish several military missions together, hoping they will bond. See Ship Tease below.
- Ship Tease: There is one between Shandris and Jarod, though it is more on Shandris' side.
- Talking in Bed: How Malfurion and Tyrande discuss their plan for a meeting of the Alliance's leaders and bringing the Worgen into the Alliance.
- Worthy Opponent: Briln makes a point of giving Haldrissa a quick death after she is fatally wound interfering with the Horde's plans.