Vasilissa the Beautiful is a Russian Fairy Tale. Vasilissa is the youngest, and a stepdaughter, and her stepmother and stepsisters set her tasks she manages with her mother's blessing and the doll her dead mother gave her. When she comes of age, all the young men wish to marry her, rather than her older stepsisters, which the stepmother forbids. Finally, having sent her into the woods many times in hopes that Baba Yaga would eat her, she has her sent directly to the witch to get fire after they had deliberately quenched all their fires.She finds her in a hut set on chicken legs, surrounded by skulls on posts that glow at night. Baba Yaga sets her Impossible Tasks, but when she finds out that Vasilissa succeeds with the help of her mother's blessing, she evicts her, giving her a skull for fire, because no one with a blessing can stay with her.When she returned, she found that the stepmother and stepsisters had been unable to light a fire all the time she was gone. The witch's skull quickly set the entire house on fire and burned it to the ground with the stepmother and stepsisters.Vasilissa found shelter with an old woman and began to spin flax and weave the thread. When the old woman brought it to market, she brought to the Tsar, who could not find seamstresses capable of sewing it. It was brought back to Vasilissa, who could. Whereupon the Tsar insisted on seeing her, fell in love, and married her.Can be found online.
Vasilissa the Beautiful provides examples of the following tropes:
- Cinderella Circumstances: Vasilissa
- Flaming Skulls
- Happily Ever After: What else?
- Hoist by His Own Petard: The inability to light fires. Then, Vasilissa brings back fire and it does last... long enough to burn her step-family into ash.
- Impossible Task: Baba Yaga sets them.
- The Lost Woods: Where Baba Yaga lives.
- Love at First Sight: At the end.
- Textile Work Is Feminine: Vasilissa does it both before and after her adventure.
- Wedlock Block:Never shall the younger be wed before the older ones!
- Wicked Stepmother
- Wicked Witch
- Youngest Child Wins: Despite the stepmother's attempts to marry off her own first.