Literature: Tales of the Starbuck Avenger
Tales of the Starbuck Avenger!!! is a completed Web Serial Novel and superhero story by Jeffrey "Channing" Wells (probably best known for writing Skin Horse with Shaenon K. Garrity of Narbonic fame). It is serialized on Livejournal - if you want a quick taste, here are the first three installments.
Tropes used in this work include:
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: It is implied that the Goffin Robotics factory was taken over by AIs.
- Artificial Human: Goffin Robotics products, such as the Absolvatron.
- Buffy Speak: Trish, the titular Starbuck Avenger.
- Caffeine Bullet Time: Garuda, to a small extent.
- Code Name: All supers have them. Starbuck Avenger, Garuda, Corpseflower, ...
- Doppelgänger: Some of the Goffin robots.
- Kryptonite Factor: Goffin robots can be incapacitated when scratched with needles of a certain semi-metallic selenium alloy.
- Loophole Abuse: Trish theorizes that this is why the Absolvatron beats its victim's heads against the doors of the church.
- Masquerade: A feature of the entire world. See Weirdness Censor below.
- Medium Awareness: Trish, apparently.
- Mega Manning: The alien gains powers by robbing small items from superpowered individuals.
- Orphaned Series: Defied.Jeffrey Wells: Is there a TV Trope for "We were sure it was never going to be finished but then it was?"
- Paper-Thin Disguise: A feature of the Weirdness Censor, below - simply putting on a Domino Mask activates it.
- Plausible Deniability: By means of the Weirdness Censor, below.
- Speech Impediment: Mebby has a bad stutter.
- Split Personality: At first it seems like a variation of the Good Angel, Bad Angel trope, but as it turns out...
- Talking the Monster to Death: When Trish is attacked by the Absolvatron, she escapes being beaten unconscious by confessing her sins to it.
- Weirdness Censor:Garuda: We call it 'the Coverup'. It's hellaciously efficient and it frequently boggles the mind and we have no clue who or what causes it. It's like a vast conspiracy, orchestrated and executed by the careful hands of reality itself.