Literature: Pat the Beastie
Pat the Beastie is a pop-up picture book that was made in 1993 and was written by Henrik Drescher. It was also well known for parodying Dorothy Kunhardt's classic children's book Pat the Bunny.In this story, Paul and Judy are two children who play mean tricks on their harmless (at first, at least) pet Beastie, which happens to look like a green scaly looking dragon creature. Their tricks include "jiggling the Beastie's eyes" and "poking its worm boogers" and throughout the book, a bird and a dog tried to warn the kids to not torture the Beastie so much or else they will the suffer the consequences.A sequel was made in 2011 called Love the Beastie.
Pat the Beastie provides examples of the following tropes:
- Amazing Technicolor Wildlife: There is a blue dog and a green bird that appear on each page warning Paul and Judy to not torture the Beastie.
- Black Comedy: Readers are encouraged to play with various body parts on the Beastie such as jiggling his eyes and poking his worm boogers, despite the titular Beastie getting tortured throughout the book.
- Darkerand Edgier: At least compared to Dorothy Kunhardt's book Pat the Bunny.
- Downer Ending: Well, considering that Paul and Judy were eaten by the Beastie at the end of the book, this may as well be a downer ending.
- Eaten Alive / Swallowed Whole: What became of Paul and Judy after the Beastie ate them at the end of the book.
- Eye Scream: When Paul and Judy "jiggled" the Beastie's eyes.
- Family-Unfriendly Aesop: “Don’t mistreat your pets, or else you will get eaten by them.
- Grossout Show: The book focused heavily on Paul and Judy playing with the Beastie's body parts such as jiggling the Beastie's eyes and poking his worm boogers.
- Grotesque Gallery: Having a pet that looks like a cross between a dragon and an alligator is quite bizarre to look at and also the talking bird and dog that tries to warn Paul and Judy about mistreating their pet beastie.
- Kids Are Cruel: Paul and Judy constantly torture the Beastie throughout the book.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Paul and Judy ended up getting eaten by the Beastie after they tortured it for so long.
- Oh Crap!: The expression Paul and Judy got when the Beastie ends up eating them.
- Parody: Of Dorothy Kunhardt’s classic Pat the Bunny.
- Surprise Creepy: In the end, the Beastie ends up eating Paul and Judy after the two children tortured the Beastie long enough.