This actually looks scary.Night of the Living Trekkies
by Kevin David Anderson and Sam Stall adds a new twist to the usual Zombie Apocalypse
story by throwing a bunch of Genre Savvy Star Trek
fanboys into the mix!
This is not your typical Zombie Apocalypse
. It's been blatantly stated that "This is an original work of fiction, horror, and parody
. and is not officially sponsored by, affiliated with, or endorsed by the owners of the Star TrekŪ brand." It has plenty of laughs
to satisfy almost anyone looking for a good read.
Jim Pike is an ex-Trekkie and Afghanistan war vet. Now discharged, he runs a hotel that gets overrun by Star Trek fans when a convention rolls into town. However, things things quickly go south
when a strange virus
causes many of the fankids to turn into flesh-eating monsters! Jim and a small group of fan kids
now have to find their way to safety!
An extremely well-made trailer for the book can be seen here
This novel provides examples of:
- Affectionate Parody
- Ascended Fanboy: Deconstructed.
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: Willy the Red Shirt. Perhaps the most pointless death in the novel bordering on Diabolus ex Machina.
- Eye Scream: Frequently as bursting the zombies third eye will immediately kill them.
- Evil Gloating: Dr. Sandoval explains to Jim how to save Leia.
- Fanservice: The female lead spends half of the book dressed in a Slave Leia costume.
- Government Conspiracy: A reasonable one for once, as they found alien rocks that will turn people into zombies and promptly stop messing around with them, locking them up without ever planning to touch it again.
- Heroic Sacrifice: as seen in the trailer.
- Martyr Without a Cause: Jim.
- The Mole: Dr. Sandoval.
- Never Trust a Trailer
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Dr. Sandoval might have escaped without you Jim, but you did a very good job of saving him regardless. Pity he's The Mole.
- Red Shirt: Jim comes across the last survivor of a group of friends dressed as them, who had started falling prey to fatal accidents even before the zombies came along. He doesn't make it either.
- Right Man in the Wrong Place: Again, Jim.
- Shout-Out: Built of these. To start with, the chapter titles are Original Series episode titles.
- Unfortunate Names: Willy Makit, whose real name turns out to be Kenny Dyes.
- Zombie Apocalypse: Somewhat parodied.
- Zombie Infectee: T'poc, Leia, and Matt. T'poc and Leia admit it and are generally helpful. Matt not so much.