A 2013 survival horror e-book from Scottish author Graeme Penman. It was written as part of Nano Wrimo and was available for only one year before being removed from sale. It deals heavily with anxiety, depression and their effects on memory. It also had strong sexual overtones combined with mythological and biblical references.
Tropes associated with this work:
- Barred from the Afterlife: No wonder the Jackal is so grumpy. It is revealed that the Big Bad 's primary motivation is to get out of this situation. And it is heavily implied that the same thing will happen to Anthony as they share the same powers.
- Belly Mouth: The Cyclops has elements of this.
- Cosmic Horror Story: And what a downer.
- Death by Sex: Because of their touch based powers most of the psychics have a lot of issues about sex and a lot of the bad things happening can be related back to the other characters sexual histories. Not to mention what is chronologically the first attack in the town happening just after some love making.
- Evil Is Visceral: Yep, that horse covered in vaginas is probably not good news.
- Ghost Town: Sandalwood Bay is not a thriving tourist attractor.
- Go Mad from the Revelation: That would be Vincent.
- Humanoid Abomination: The Jackal's endgame.
- Keep Circulating the Tapes: The book was only available for a limited time. If you want to read it now, hope that you know somebody that bought it.
- Lamprey Mouth: Cyclops again.
- Occult Detective: That would be Anthony.
- Ominous Fog: All over the place.
- Psychic Powers: That would be Anthony, Vincent, Saint Abban, The Jackal... nearly everyone really.
- Psychological Torment Zone: Isn't it funny how every single monster in the town has something to do with the characters deep rooted psychological problems.
- Self-Fulfilling Prophecy: Oh boy. Vincent has perfect future knowledge of nearly everything throughout the story, He first looks into the future to see what the door code is going to be when he makes his escape from the institute then later touches the sickle that he knows Anthony will later pick up in his Last Stand. His touch imbues the sickle with his memories of his visions of its future uses and by following the movements Vincent predicted Anthony is able to defeat all of his attackers.
- Signature Style: Penman's writing is always painfully concise, giving only the bare minimum of details that the reader needs to follow the story and he writes with archaic language that wouldn't have been out of place in the 20s.
- Tome of Eldritch Lore: The Jura Codex seems like it will be this but it is later subverted when the book has long since decayed to nothing.
- Town with a Dark Secret: Sandalwood Bay has a nasty skeleton in its closet.
- True Art Is Angsty: One of the major problems with this book.
- True Art Is Incomprehensible: The rest of the problems with this book. Unless you have suffered through depression and take notes the book is practically impossible to follow.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: This seems to be the inevitable result of seeing the future or past too much.