is a novel by John Ajvide Lindqvist, author of Let the Right One In
A man discovers an abandoned infant in the woods. He becomes obsessed with the child and raises her with his wife in his basement. Years later, a catastrophic incident occurs and the couple's adult son takes the girl to Stockholm and enters her to perform in a performance show. From there, the girl meets a fellow outcast named Teresa on the internet. Together, the two become close friends but their pairing proves to be deadly.
The novel provides examples of:
- Accidental Murder: Being taught that love is something found inside the mind, Theres dismembers both both of her adoptive parents to find it.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Theres is this as a result of her upbringing.
- Creepy Child: Theres.
- Halfway Plot Switch: First chunk of the novel is effectively about Lennart and Leila raising Theres before she kills them. Then there's a significant chunk about Theres growing up, followed by a section on Theresa's life before the two finally meet around the midpoint of the novel.
- Horrible Hollywood: In Sweden. Personified by Max Hansen, a sleazy and perverted talent agent that attempts to take advantage of Theres in more ways than one.
- Lies to Children: Lennart convinces Theres to not leave the house by telling her that the world is full of "big people" who want to eat up the "little people" like her to the point that she is terrified of going outside.
- Literal-Minded: Theres is this. Being told that love is something found inside the mind, she believes it to be a literal object and dismembers both of her adoptive parents to find it.
- No Name Given: Theres is given no name by Lennart and is only named afterwards by his son.
- Too Kinky to Torture: Max Hansen develops a masochistic complex after being wounded by Theres. When "The Wolves of Skansen" ultimately torture him to death, he has an orgasm.