A 2001 novel by Jacqueline Wilson
, about April, a girl who was abandoned in a dustbin
behind a pizza restaurant minutes after being born. Even though she's now settled in a good home with a loving foster mother, she can't help but wonder why her birth mother didn't want her. Especially on her birthday.
After getting into an argument over a birthday present, she decides to skip school to revisit all the homes she's lived in, leading back to the first home she ever knew...
The book was adapted into TV movie starring Dakota Blue Richards in 2008.
This book and film provide examples of:
- Adults Are Useless: The ones at the Sunnybank foster home are anyway. April is very aware of this.
- Berserk Button: Destroying April's paper dolls. Pearl learned this the hard way.
- Abandonment becomes one for April in the movie. She storms away when Marion says she's going to retire from teaching, because that means leaving Fairgate and therefore her. Or so she thinks.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Everyone in the foster home was shocked and surprised that April would push another girl down the stairs. What they didn't know was Pearl had been bullying April nonstop for months and finally made her snap.
- Birthday Hater: Guess who.
- Bittersweet Ending: April did not find her birth mother and probably never will. But she did find the man who found her and has realized how much Marion loves her.
- Deliberately Cute Child: April plays up her cuteness at Sunnybank so Gina and the other older kids will like her more.
- Pearl acts this way in front of the carers.
- Doorstop Baby
- Driven to Suicide: April's adoptive mother commits sucide in the bathtub, after her husband leaves her.
- Happily Adopted: April was this with her adoptive family, until her parents split up and her mother committed sucide.
- Innocent Inaccurate: Being very young at the time, April doesn't understand what happened to her mum until years later.
- Kids Are Cruel: Pearl. To insane levels. Her idea of playing "Mermaids" during bath time is holding April under the water until she goes limp.
- Meaningful Name: April was born and found on April Fools Day.
- Parental Abandonment
- The Cameo: Tanya from Bad Girls makes an appearance.