"What if your mother was a criminal?
What if her crime was magic?
What if magic ran in the family?"Bran Hambric is a series of fantasy novels by Kaleb Nation, set in a modern high fantasy world where technology and magic coexist.At the age of 6, Bran Hambric is found in a bank vault in the Great and Glorious City of Dunce, a place where magic is illegal and Gnomes are not allowed to enter. Now, he lives with the Wilomas family and is home-schooled by their housemaid, Rosie Tuttle. One night his foster dad, Sewey, suspects that a burglar will soon arrive, so he and Bran get on the roof to be ready for the would-be intruder. Instead of a thief, they are confronted by a crazed creature speaking of Bran's past and trying to kidnap him. This is only the beginning, as Bran starts to learn more and more about his own beginnings, his mother's crime, and the plot that is still ready for him to finally complete.
These novels provide examples of:
- All Your Powers Combined: Bran has the powers of all 5 types of mage.
- Ban on Magic: The city of Dunce prohibits mages and gnomes.
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: Each type of magic has a different associated color.
- Elemental Powers: Archon magic deals with this.
- Fantastic Racism: Gnomes donít have it very well even outside of Dunce.
- Kill It with Fire: Fire is one of the few things that can permanently kill a Drimra.
- Magic A Is Magic A: Magic seems to follow some pretty straightforward rules.
- Magic Wand: A mage can store their energy in one, allowing another mage to use spells they normally couldnít. The wands happen to be made of metal.
- Muggle Foster Parents: The Wilomas family to Bran.
- Soul Jar: Drimra mages can do this, hiding their soul in an object, their body in a suspended state.