Literature: Bras and Broomsticks
Bras and Broomsticks is a teenage novel by Sarah Mlynowski, revolving around the life of Rachel Weinstein and her younger sister Miri who is a witch. Rachel becomes a witch at the end of the second book.The sequel, Frogs and French Kisses, is about a love spell Rachel put on her crush's brother, and the third book, Spells and Sleeping Bags, is about Rachel at summer camp dealing with a malelovent witch. The fourth book, Parties and Potions, is about Rachel discovering the secret world of witches.
- Alpha Bitch: Liana
- Cute Witch: Miri and eventually Rachel.
- Equivalent Exchange: If someone uses magic to get something, that thing will be taken from wherever it comes from. For example, the main character's sister makes oranges to give to the homeless, but there is an orange shortage in stores in the area.
- Muggle-and-Magical Love Triangle: In the fourth book, Rachel has one between her human boyfriend Raf and a witch boy.
- Non P.O.V. Protagonist: The first book is mostly about Miri getting her powers, but is in the point of view of Rachel.
- Puberty Superpower: Magic abilities seem to be this. Miri gets powers before Rachel and is said to also have been an early bloomer in terms of puberty.
- Rite of Passage: The Samsorta.
- Single Girl Seeks Most Popular Guy: Rachel and Raf.
- Utility Magic: There are spells for almost anything, from transportation to changing the color of a dress.
- Understanding Boyfriend: Raf at the end of Parties and Potions
- Vain Sorceress: Rachel's mother becomes this for some time.
- Witch Species: Being a witch is portrayed as a cross between genetic abilities and being an ethnicity.