This is a 2007 book by Creator/MattRuff. Jane Charlotte has been arrested for murder. She tells police that she is a member of a secret organization devoted to fighting evil; her division is called the Department for the Final Disposition of Irredeemable Persons -- "Bad Monkeys" for short. The confessions earns Jane a trip to the jail's psychiatric wing, where a doctor attempts to determine whether she is lying, crazy -- or playing a different game altogether. [[spoiler: The answer is yes.]]
'''Spoiler Alert: Due to the nature of this book, there are a lot of spoilers in the trope list.'''
* AbusiveParents: Jane's mother.
* AllJustADream: [[spoiler: Everything after Jane meets the Scary Clowns.]]
* BigBrotherIsWatching: Panopticon has cameras in any picture with eyes and also in library binding.
* DeadAllAlong: Phil. [[spoiler: Zig-zagged when it turns out he's not actually dead.]]
* DetectEvil: Malfeasance job. Also what the Shibboleth is supposed to do.
* TheEndingChangesEverything: [[spoiler: Turns out Jane is actually a mole from The Troop and that entire story may or may not have been a lie.]]
* EvenEvilHasLovedOnes: [[spoiler: Phil]]. Horribly subverted at the end because [[spoiler: Jane is evil and she ''enjoys'' killing Phil]].
* EvilFeelsGood: The Troop claims they drive on this and if one feels any pleasure in killing, they are perfect for being evil.
* EvilTwin: Bad Jane. [[spoiler: Turns out she's not real, though.]]
* FaceHeelTurn: The Troop tries to convert Jane to join their side. They fail, but [[spoiler: only because she had been a Bad Monkey ''since she had been a teenager'' and it is actually The Organisation trying to convert her to good]].
* ForTheEvulz: Most evil drives on this. They kill and destroy because they ''can''.
* HeroesRUs: The organization Jane joins.
* HumansAreBastards: The assumption of The Organisation. Most humans have evil tendencies that they try to surpress or better with various subdivisions while the Bad Monkeys division is the one for those that are hopelessly evil.
* HopeSpot: At the end, Jane manages to threaten and kill the doctor aka [[spoiler: Phil]]. Followed by TheReveal that [[spoiler: ''Jane'' was evil the whole time, out to murder Phil who got saved from evil]].
* IncorruptiblePurePureness: [[spoiler: Apparently Phil was this, and that's why the Bad Monkeys were able to recruit him.]]
* [[spoiler: LikableVillain]]: Jane.
* MagicRealism: The organization sees everything, can make things appear from thin air, and have dream lessons. However the focus isn't really on the magical aspects of what they do. It almost borders on MundaneFantastic.
* MakeItLookLikeAnAccident: NC Guns make people's deaths look like natural causes such as heart attacks or strokes.
* MindScrew: Oh Lordy! Just to give one example: TheOtherWiki concludes - based on the reviews written about the novel - that everything is [[spoiler: a drug-induced shizophrenic hallucination]], Matt Ruff's website claims in the FAQ tab that [[spoiler: the entire story plays in a massive Ant farm]] and the Origin tab on the same page says that [[spoiler: Jane is a extreme UnreliableNarrator and you have to guess for yourself what happened and what didn't]].
* TheMole: [[spoiler: Jane]]
* MonsterClown: The "Scary Clown" division. Apparently John Wayne Gacy was one of them who went rogue.
* MoralEventHorizon: Malfeasance assumes that Jane hit one with her ''Pet Boys'', but their DetectEvil test proves that she felt guilty about it and thus can't be evil. [[spoiler: Dixon is impressed in the end, because she had been evil without ever having one ''and'' is able to perfectly fake feeling guilty about her deeds, too]].
* MrsRobinson: Jane had a habit of sleeping with underage boys (aka "pet boys") in exchange for booze and a place to stay.
* NebulousEvilOrganization: The Troop.
* NoCureForEvil: The Organisation's motto. Once you are definitely evil, the only thing to do is kill the Bad Monkey. Saving [[spoiler: Phil]] is their one attempt on curing it. [[spoiler: They managed to save Phil, but can't save Jane]].
* ObfuscatingInsanity: Annie
* ReverseMole: [[spoiler: Phil]]
* [[spoiler: ReminiscingAboutYourVictims]]: Jane does this in her talk with the psychatrist. Slightly subverted because [[spoiler: she lies, leaves out informations and even ''fakes her emotions'' during the talk to throw off The Organisation]].
* SerialKillerKiller: What "Bad Monkeys" does.
* SexIsEvil: While not a general rule, almost all the bad people in the story are related to sexual crimes (pedophilia, rape, cheating, etc).
* StartOfDarkness: [[spoiler: Jane ''really'' didn't like her mother and little brother and the way she got ignored in favour of Phil]].
* UnreliableNarrator: [[spoiler: Jane]].
* UsedToBeASweetKid: The Troop considers kidnapping and converting innocent children into evil serial killers their Special Kind Of Evil.
* WouldHurtAChild: The Angel of Death, Julius Deeds, Arlo Dexter, John Doyle and [[spoiler: Jane Charlotte]].
* YourTelevisionHatesYou: After Dixon reveals that he knows about Jane's "pet boys", all she sees or hears is stuff related to that, such as ''[[TeacherStudentRomance The Mary Kay Letourneau Story]]'', Music/MichaelJackson songs, and even songs by the Pet Shop Boys.