Snowboarding works much better with snow.The use of a shield, or something in a similar shape and/or size, as a board or sled to traverse through a particular environment. Being carried on a shield is a different trope entirely. Compare Body Sled.
Jackie, Jackie Chan Adventures
Examples:Anime & Manga
- In Code Geass, Lelouch uses a riot shield as a sled in a landslide. In a mecha, of course. He also uses it early in R2, surfing on slash haken wires and decapitating a Britannian Knightmare in the process.
- This scene was so iconic that when Bandai made an action figure of Zero's Burai, it came with the riot shield.
- In Mobile Fighter G Gundam, Chibodee's Maxter Gundam has a shield (that he never uses) that acts as his hovercraft.
- Captain America frequently does this.
- In Mulan, Mushu does this during an avalanche.
- In BIONICLE: Mask of Light, Takua and Jaller use Kopaka's Ice Shield to escape from Rahkshi in Ko-Wahi.
- In BIONICLE: The Legend Reborn, Mata Nui uses his Scarabax Shield to surf down a canyon.
- Also in Willow
- Legolas does this down some stone stairs during the battle for Helm's Deep in the second The Lord of the Rings movie, shooting mooks as he goes. Orlando Bloom commented that Tolkien was probably rolling in his grave at that scene. He does it again in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, but with an Orc body instead of a shield.
- Parodied in DM of the Rings, see Webcomics below.
- Xander in xXx uses a serving tray like a skateboard to grind a handrail down some stairs.
- Our hero and heroine escape from the bus in Speed by riding a small section of the metal floor of the bus.
- Granddad, the 6th earl in Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes, reminisces about surfing on a silver tray down the stairs in his castle when he was a wee lad. Grown a bit senile, he attempts it once again during a party, unaware that at his advanced age it becomes a Tragic Mistake.
- In Allen Steele's novel Orbital Decay, a construction worker putting together a space station manages to ride a huge curved piece of a re-entry shield (well, that and a parachute) back to Earth after the space station he had been constructing broke up in orbit.
- Also happens in Artemis Fowl: Demons are seen using a big hide shield as a makeshift sled down a rocky slope.
- Done in Terry Pratchett's Jingo, making a Chekhov's Gun of the phrase "Come back with your shield, or on it", when Carrot is getting back to the boat that will take all the guards to Ankh-Morpork.
- Metal Wolf Chaos: Michael Wilson SPACE-Surfs with debris from an orbiting space station that he himself blew up while in his Giant Mecha.
- Goofy's "Goofy Turbo" ability in Kingdom Hearts II.
- The Hulk takes this beyond the impossible in Hulk: Ultimate Destruction; pounding buses or large trucks flat into shields, which he can then rush onto to create a shield sled. It is just as ridiculously awesome as it sounds.
- In Dynasty Warriors 8, Huang Gai uses a weapon in called an arm blade... which is a metal boat. Yes, a boat. And he shield surfs with it. It's as ridiculous and as awesome as it sounds.
- Xingcai can do this with an EX attack.
- Legolas' use of this is parodied in DM of the Rings, where the GM responds "What game do you think you're playing, anyway?" and the accompanying movie screencap has graphics from the Tony Hawk's Pro Skater series photoshopped onto it.
HUD: 24,357 x 5! Kickflip + FS 50-50 + Grind the Steps + Varial Heelflip + Shoot the Orc!
- Jonny Quest episode "Monster in the Monastery". Jonny and Hadji uses a large shield-like gong to slide down a hill and escape the villains.
- Hanna-Barbera's The Adventures of Gulliver. Gulliver uses a surfboard-shaped stone to toboggan to safety. Watch it here, starting at 7:40.
- Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas
- Jackie Chan Adventures:
- Jackie pulls this off in the cold open of the first episode, establishing his Adventurer Archaeologist cred and ability to improvise.
- During "The Lotus Temple", Jade and Jackie have to rescue Xu Lin, the girl cursed to be the temple's guardian. A barrier prevents her from leaving, but Jackie notices a suit of armor that can leave the temple (he knows this because the villain of the episode animated it to attack him). It's too heavy for her to walk in, so they put her on a shield and push her out.
- Link shield surfs a river of magical flame in one episode of the animated The Legend of Zelda.
- And also surfs off of an explosion of his own bomb, in a move which (probably didn't) inspire glitch hunters down the line.
- The Secret Saturdays: In "Twelve Hundred Degrees Fahrenheit", Drew cuts a shield-shaped slab of wood from a tree and uses it as a makeshift snowboard. Doyle uses his jetpack for the same purpose.