Snowboarding works much better with snow.
of a shield
, or something in a similar shape and/or size, as a board
or sled to traverse through a particular environment.
on a shield is a different trope entirely
Anime & Manga
- In Code Geass, Lelouch uses a riot shield as a sled in a landslide. In a mecha, of course. He also uses it early in R2, surfing on slash haken wires and decapitating a Britannian Knightmare in the process.
- This scene was so iconic that when Bandai made an action figure of Zero's Burai, it came with the riot shield.
- In Mobile Fighter G Gundam, Chibodee's Maxter Gundam has a shield (that he never uses) that acts as his hovercraft.
- In Mulan, Mushu does this during an avalanche.
- In BIONICLE: Mask of Light, Takua and Jaller use Kopaka's Ice Shield to escape from Rahkshi in Ko-Wahi.
- In BIONICLE: The Legend Reborn, Mata Nui uses his Scarabax Shield to surf down a canyon.
- Also in Willow
- Legolas does this down some stone stairs during the battle for Helm's Deep in the second The Lord of the Rings movie, shooting mooks as he goes. Orlando Bloom commented that Tolkien was probably rolling in his grave at that scene.
- Xander in xXx uses a serving tray like a skateboard to grind a handrail down some stairs.
- Our hero and heroine escape from the bus in Speed by riding a small section of the metal floor of the bus.
- In Allen Steele's novel Orbital Decay, a construction worker putting together a space station manages to ride a huge curved piece of a re-entry shield (well, that and a parachute) back to Earth after the space station he had been constructing broke up in orbit.
- Also happens in Artemis Fowl: Demons are seen using a big hide shield as a makeshift sled down a rocky slope.
- Done in Terry Pratchett's Jingo, making a Chekhov's Gun of the phrase "Come back with your shield, or on it", when Carrot is getting back to the boat that will take all the guards to Ankh-Morpork.
- Metal Wolf Chaos: Michael Wilson SPACE-Surfs with debris from an orbiting space station that he himself blew up while in his Giant Mecha.
- Goofy's "Goofy Turbo" ability in Kingdom Hearts II.
- The Hulk takes this beyond the impossible in Hulk: Ultimate Destruction; pounding buses or large trucks flat into shields, which he can then rush onto to create a shield sled. It is just as ridiculously awesome as it sounds.
- In Dynasty Warriors 8, Huang Gai uses a weapon in called an arm blade... which is a metal boat. Yes, a boat. And he shield surfs with it. It's as ridiculous and as awesome as it sounds.
- Jonny Quest episode "Monster in the Monastery". Jonny and Hadji uses a large shield-like gong to slide down a hill and escape the villains. Watch it here.
- Hanna-Barbera's The Adventures of Gulliver. Gulliver uses a surfboard-shaped stone to toboggan to safety. Watch it here, starting at 7:40.
- Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas
- It happened in the very first episode of Jackie Chan Adventures.
- During "The Lotus Temple", Jade and Jackie have to rescue Xu Lin, the girl cursed to be the temple's guardian. A barrier prevents her from leaving, but Jackie notices a suit of armor that can leave the temple (he knows this because the villain of the episode animated it to attack him). It's too heavy for her to walk in, so they put her on a shield and push her out.
- Link shield surfs a river of magical flame in one episode of the animated The Legend of Zelda.
- The Secret Saturdays: In "Twelve Hundred Degrees Fahrenheit", Drew cuts a shield-shaped slab of wood from a tree and uses it as a makeshift snowboard. Doyle uses his jetpack for the same purpose.